Mental Health Can’t Wait: Julia Boorse and Her Mental Health Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Back in February, Julia Boorse, YouTuber and UT student, started a mental health awareness campaign called Mental Health Can’t Wait. I had the pleasure of interviewing her and here is what she had to say about her campaign? 

Could you share just a little bit about yourself? 

I’m Julia Boorse from Pen Argyl, PA. I’m 18 and a Freshman and right now my major is Film and Media Arts.

What is Mental Health Can’t wait?
Mental Health Can’t Wait is a campaign I started to raise awareness to mental health and people struggling with it. I spent a while researching the topic, then I decided to order 200 wristbands to raise money and awareness that say “Mental Health Can’t Wait – Start Talking”. Next I made a video on my youtube channel just simply talking to all my subscribers about mental health and telling them about the wristbands. 
What gave you the inspiration or idea to create this video and campaign?
I started this campaign because recently in my hometown a girl who went to my high school unfortunately died from suicide and even though I only talked to her a couple times, I just felt heartbroken. I know so many people struggle with mental illness such as depression and I just want everyone to know it’s okay to talk about it because it can get so much better. Also since I have been blessed to have a youtube channel with over 40,000 subscribers and almost 4 million total views, I felt like I was in a good position to talk to the people who watch my videos about this and hopefully make a difference. 

What is the purpose of this organization (where the donations go)?
So now I am selling the wristbands online and on campus and donating all the money earned to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and possibly to families affected by suicide. If anyone wants a wristband to support this great cause they can contact me on facebook or email me. 
What is your hope for this campaign?
And lastly, I have two hopes for this campaign. First I want to raise awareness so we can prevent people from feeling ashamed if they want to talk to someone about their mental state and also so people know suicide is never the answer. And second I just want to raise money for suicide prevention. I am so thankful for the support my followers and friends have given me online and in person. I’ve had people from Las Vegas and California to New Jersey order wristbands which is just cool to know people are supporting each other! 

On Monday, March 16th, Julia gave an update on Facebook about her campaign–between 150-200 wristbands have been distributed or sold, and so far $262 has been donated to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.  There are still more wristbands if you’d like to purchase them; all the proceeds will still go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Go to http://wecantwait.bigcartel.com/ if you’d like to purchase a wristband and donate to this wonderful cause.

Claire is a junior Writing and FMA (Film & Media Arts) double major. She hails from Huntsville, AL, where she resided from the point of birth until beginning her journey here at the University of Tampa. She is greatly enjoying her college career, and can be seen hopping around campus, either going to class, or doing something in relation to the many organizations she is a part of. When not actively involved with classes, Her Campus, and/or other organizations, Claire can be found lounging around in her room, most likely glued to her laptop, or writing with her quill pen in her journal, or perhaps reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (her latest book quest).