This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Being disabled is one thing, but being insecure on top of it makes our suffering worse. We frequently consider how we might blend in and appear regular, just like everyone else. Despite having the same basic makeup, we all experience various issues. What if you come across someone who is experiencing the same suffering as you but is unable to express it?

For instance, I have experienced double the discomfort I had from birth. Starting with my condition, I was born with brachial plexus, which means that the nerves in my left arm would always be permanently damaged. Growing up, I became more aware of how unique I was from other people, which was difficult for me. I was restricted from participating in some gym activities in elementary school. I tried playing softball in high school as a challenge, but I didn’t make the team. I actually attempted everything that other people could accomplish that I couldn’t.

As a result of not being able to do as much as others, I started to feel insecure about my arm. Prior to the start of my second year of high school, writing became my passion. I made the decision to begin a poetry book about my life since birth, my challenges, and my triumphs. I am unique compared to other people, and I am aware that there are others who experience the same insecurities and disabilities but choose not to speak up about them. As I continued on with my journey, my book was completed and is now ready for publication. Not only did I fall in love with poetry, but I also fell in love with myself, which is crucial.

Instead of demotivating us, our difficulties can inspire us. Never look back; instead, use your grief to guide you forward in life. “Jaide, you will never be able to use that arm,” the doctor remarked. Nineteen years later, I’m still using it and utilizing it successfully. You define who you wish to be; your experiences do not define who you are. Success is power, and power is pain. Our disability and insecurity are more powerful than you think.

Remember the word insecure:

I- in life, there’s hope.

N- not every day will be sunshine.

S- so make your story come to life.

E- everyone needs a reminder that we can do it.

C- can’t sit at home thinking how different we are.

U- utilize your disability and insecurities as your strength.

R- reach for the stars and hold onto this powerful pain forever.

E- everything will be okay because we are unique.

Jaide Edwards is a writer at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes about her experiences, women empowerment, entertainment, and encouraging others. Beyond Her Campus, Jaide is a undergraduate student at The University of Tampa, aiming to get her B.A degree in journalism. Making her way to her path she works very hard with her writing assignments, her poetry book, businesses and continues to build her portfolio for her dream career. In her free time, Jaide enjoys writing poems, digital graphic design, going out, and networking. She recently started her own business being a social media manager while doing digital graphic design services for others. She also wrote her own E-Book that'll be published soon. So, Jaide is a perfect example of beauty and brains.