Culture > Digital

Gen Z: Social Media’s Influence on The Balance Between Individuality and Conformity 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you really think about it, social media hasn’t been around for that long, which is still shocking to think about since our daily lives are dependent on it now. As we all know, social media has its pros and cons. In many ways, it allows us to communicate and express ourselves easily. On the flip side, it could serve as a distraction and affect our mental health. The ways in which social media impacts our mindset and decisions lead to the question of whether social media influences conformity or individualism. Personally, I believe that it influences both in positive and negative ways. 

To dive deeper into this topic and gather statistics, I conducted a survey. The age range of recipients is 18-21. My survey was short and quick, with a total of 8 questions, both multiple-choice and checkbox answers. I focused on asking questions regarding what social media platforms are most used, how they are used, what influences buying decisions, trends, mental health, and the overall influence social media has on individualism and conformity. 

Here are the results:

Q1: Which platform do you spend the most time on daily?

Out of 8 responses, 50% use TikTok most on daily, while 25% use Snapchat and Instagram. Based on these statistics, we can assume that TikTok is the primary place where Gen Z females spend their time scrolling. 

Personally, I would consider myself an active social media user, but the platforms that I use most are Instagram and Snapchat. I love taking photos, so I use Instagram mostly for aesthetics, like showcasing my photography, myself, and my experiences. Although I mindlessly scroll, I find myself mostly gathering inspo, sending memes, and seeing what people are up to. I use Snapchat mainly to communicate with friends that I wouldn’t normally text and to post on my private story. I have TikTok, but I hardly ever go on it unless I’m making TikToks with friends. Because I’m not an active TikTok user, I can feel a sense of disconnect when my friends mention certain sounds or trends that I don’t know. So, although social media builds a sense of community, it can also exclude others who may not utilize it in the same ways as most.

Q2: How many hours per day do you spend on social media?

On average, 50% spend 3-4 hours on social media, 25% spend 6 or more hours, and 12.5% spend 1-2 or 5-6 hours daily. These statistics reveal that the majority of our screen time is taken up by social media. It is safe to say that our daily lives are consumed by social media. 

Q3: Where do you get most of your fashion inspo from? Choose 2-3 max.

100% get their fashion inspo from TikTok, 87.5% on Instagram, and 50% from influencers and celebrities. Fashion has always played a significant role in society, even before social media existed. Fashion is a visual indicator of human evolution. Back then, it was more than a symbol of self-expression and culture; and it was also a reflection of social and economic status. Today, many Gen Zers turn to social media for fashion inspiration; what we see others wear goes beyond physical interaction and observation. I believe that social media creates an expectation in our minds about what is acceptable or not based on current trends.

Q4: Would you say that trends influence your shopping decisions?

75% believe that trends influence their shopping decisions, and 25% believe that they only sometimes do. This statistic supports my previous point that the majority of us can agree that trends have an impact on what we think is acceptable or not, and we make our shopping decisions based on this thought process. 

Q5: Do you think following trends influences conformity?

Another 75% think that following trends influences conformity, and 25% believe that it depends. Despite conformity’s negative connotations, trends also have some positive effects. An individual’s personal values and preferences determine whether they think conformity is good or bad, but there is no right or wrong answer. 

Pros: Forms a sense of belonging, community, and inclusion; fun to follow; in the business world, an increase in consumption=increase in profit; reliable indication of brand or product value; an analytic strategy for marketing purposes. 

Cons: Consumer habits are not sustainable; because trends are not long-term, wardrobe changes frequently; Individual identity and culture can be lost; pressure to fit in; stereotypes

Q6: Have you experienced any of these negative effects from social media?

62.5% have experienced insecurities and comparing themselves to others, anxiety when posting, deciding what to post, etc., and FOMO. 50% have experienced addiction, and 37.5% have experienced sadness/depression from social media use. Personally, I have also experienced some of these negative effects. There are several statistics to prove that social media is linked to the tremendous increase in mental health issues over the last decade. 

Q7: In what ways do you use social media most? Choose 2-3 max.

100% use social media to communicate and stay connected with friends, family, and networks, 87.5% for scrolling and entertainment, and 62.5% for keeping up with trends. Ony 25% of respondents claim to use social media to create and share content and 12.5% say they use it to create an aesthetically pleasing feed. Overall, the majority of young adults, ages 18-21, use social media primarily for entertainment and scrolling to stay connected and keep up with trends.

Q8: If you had to choose a side to argue, does social media influence individualism or conformity?

62.5% argue that social media influences conformity, 25% argue that it influences individualism, and 12.5% argue both conformity and individualism. In a way, social media influences individualism because it allows for self-presentation and creative freedom. However, the majority of us are aware that social media has greatly influenced conformity in our generation as a whole because we are constantly reshaped by the standards of society rather than our own. 

Zoie Aguiar is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa. Her articles cover a variety of topics including wellness, lifestyle, work, academics, travel, fashion, gen-z culture and aesthetics. In addition to sharing relatable and credible content on these topics, Zoie aims to connect with others by spreading positivity. Her core values are: well-being, passion, integrity, peace and individuality. Zoie is a Junior studying Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. In her free time, she loves to cozy up in her bed and watch reality tv, take pictures, DIY, design, decorate, play volleyball and shop. Zoie loves to travel and explore new things. Her favorite places to be are the city, beach, and mall. She loves to express her personality and style through writing, art and fashion. Ultimately, Zoie loves to be creative and have fun!