This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I didn’t come to love my big, bouncy locs until my sophomore year in college when I turned 19. I had made an appointment at A+M Beauty Lounge in Tampa a month in advance (curly hair stylists are in high demand so it’s best to book early). I won’t say that I wasn’t nervous, but Adriana, the curl specialist, eased my worries. She let me know that this hair journey that I would be embarking on would be worthwhile to get to the point where I would love and appreciate the hair type that I was given. 

First, we started with the consultation where we talked about the type of haircut I was going for, and my long term curly hair goals. I already had an idea of the type of haircut I wanted, but just to be safe I brought some inspiration pictures, so we would both be on the same page. After the consultation, we began the cutting process. Months prior I had already cut my hair to earlobe length, so this time I opted to get a pixie cut. In the curly hair community, this is usually identified as a ‘big chop’, where one cuts off all the damaged hair leaving only the healthy new growth remaining.

The point is, because I had already cut my hair short, I wasn’t too bothered with losing a couple more inches, the biggest thing that I was afraid of was if the haircut would suit me. Would I look too masculine? Was I really okay with no more ponytails for a while? It’s scary, change, but it also can be exciting too. 

After chopping off my hair, we began the washing process, and during this time Adriana broke down exactly how to wash my curly hair, how much product to use, and what products to use. She was really helpful in explaining to me exactly what I needed to do to get my hair to a healthier place. When she finished washing my hair she applied the styling products while it was dripping wet and clipped my roots to help lift my curls. She stuck me under the dryer until my gel cast was fully dry which took 30-45 minutes.

During this time I thought about what my family would think, if I would like my natural hair, and how others might react to it as well. But, when my hair had finished drying, and the clips were taken out, and she had broken that gel cast, all of my worries went out of the window and I immediately fell in love. I had never seen my curls so defined and bouncy, and the first thing that I blurted out was, “I have curls!” Before my curly hair was confused and didn’t know what it wanted to be, but now I can definitely say that that was one of the best decisions I could have ever made for myself. 

Of course there is a lot of work put behind curly hair, and a lot that I had to learn myself along the way, but when I see that end result and I hear that the people around me appreciate the product of my hard work, that’s when I know that it’s all worth it. If you are just starting your curly hair journey, or even if you are in a curly hair rough patch, don’t be afraid to seek out professional help. While it is a pretty penny it is also a lifelong investment. Growing up with curly hair was not the “trendy” thing, but now I realize that curly hair isn’t a trend, it’s a lifestyle.

Karla is a 2021 cum laude graduate with a BFA in Musical Theatre. Karla is originally from Maryland and is very proud of Karla's Afro-Latinx heritage. Karla is currently in pursuit of a career in TV/film acting, and Karla's dream role would be to portray a superhero. In Karla's free time Karla enjoys reading, watching Netflix (no chill necessary), and taking long walks on the metaphorical beach to universal equity.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson