Hero Images with HC Branding 6?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 6?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Christin Hume via Unsplash
Wellness

Cluttered Life, Cluttered Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Our organization says a lot about us. Some of us float through life taking things as they come and just hoping for the best. Those people just let it happen. Some of us plan our days meticulously with countless planners and always have a few spare pencils. They plan it out. This article is here to help motivate you to get your shit together. Here are some small tips and tricks to help get you through.

1.    Make Your Bed

Making your bed may seem like an incredibly childish task. You can probably hear your mom’s voice in the back of your head telling you to get it done. Well, as usual, your mom is right! Making your bed in the morning can set you on the right track for the rest of the day. Studies show that people who make their beds everyday accomplish more, feel motivated throughout their day, and have more mental clarity. Your room will also look and feel more welcoming. It also can reduce the temptation to jump in and fall down that pesky social media rabbit hole!

2.    Let the Sunshine In

Opening your blinds every once and a while can tremendously reduce your stress levels and boost your mood. It can fight off the negativity of being stuck in your dorm all day. Natural light can help your body directly absorb vitamin D, which helps fight off illnesses, reduces depression, and promotes heart health. Letting in natural light can also help improve your sleep schedule. The body functions on an internal clock which can often be wound too tight. Letting the light in can help to reset your clock and help you sleep better at night.

3.    Empty Your Backpack

If you’re like me, you have far too much stuff in your backpack. My backpack is constantly being weighed down with textbooks, notebooks, a laptop, and god knows what else! Over time, the clutter begins. You eat a snack in class and can’t find a place to throw away the wrapper, where does it then go? It probably goes into your backpack. Gum wrapper? Backpack. Flier from an on-campus organization? Backpack. Cleaning out your bag can help you out tremendously. Not only will it be easier to carry, but it will also help with the longevity of your bag. Think it through! Go through your bag periodically to keep yourself in check.

4.    Organize Your Closet

Your closet is one of the first things you go to everyday. Your style says a lot about you! Make sure you’re happy with what you’re looking at. There are many ways to organize your closet. Space out your hangers, color code, organize by length, do whatever you want! It’ll improve your mental clarity and you’ll look and feel better!  Put aside the clothes you don’t wear anymore; you can always donate your old clothing to shelters in your area. Help yourself by helping those in need! Removing the clutter will give you more space to thrive, give you motivation to put a look together, and help you visualize your dream closet.

5.    Clean Out Your Desk

The bigger the mess, the bigger the stress. Clearing your workspace can make a huge difference. We’re all guilty of having a junk drawer. Simply going through it and throwing away old receipts and other papers can help keep things from becoming overwhelming. Wipe down your desktop with an antibacterial cleaner. You’ll have more room for that one assignment you keep putting off. A neat and clean work environment will also motivate you to get more done. Don’t forget to make it your own! Add some neat pictures and maybe a small plant. Create your happy space!

We all have moments in our lives where it seems as though the world is crashing down on us. It’s amazing how something as simple as making your bed or clearing off your desk can change your entire outlook. The world can seem overwhelmingly large sometimes. It always helps to pause and view the world as simply as it actually is.

Shannon is a sophomore studying Musical Theatre at the University Of Tampa. Her dream is perform on Broadway and eventually run her own theatre. In her spare time she enjoys making too many Spotify playlists, watching classic movies, and finding a new path to explore! If you want to see what she's doing next, follow her Instagram - @something.royal
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely