Wellness > Health

10 Reasons to Go to the Gym (when you Hate Working out)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Hi, my name is Meghan and I’m a newly gymaholic!

I used to dread going to the gym… and I mean dread it. You know that rule that says, “it’s 70% diet, 30% exercise”, well yeah, for the past 3 years or so the “70% diet” portion was my go-to way of staying fit.

However, as I’ve gotten older (not that being 22 is old, because believe me it’s not), but I’ve noticed that a body in motion tends to feel better if it stays in motion by developing a regular gym routine!

Not only does my body feel and look better but my mind, as a result of pumping some iron, has me feeling on top of the world! Before I knew it, those positive gym vibes were radiating all around me! It’s amazing what turning off Netflix and putting off studying will do for your wellbeing!

Of course, the first day I decided to go to the gym I didn’t go all out, lifting weights and sprinting miles. I had to take it slow. My new workout routine consists of me going to the gym every other day (in between classes and work) for a total of 30-45 minutes. During that time period I usually do one of or a combination of the following things: run or power walk on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, 10 minutes of upper body work with low weights (as I’m just beginning), 5 minutes of stretching before and after my workout, and occasionally abdominal workouts that include crunches.

So, at the end of the day what motivates me to get up and play? Thanks to my new-found love for the gym I have come up with 10 reasons as to why YOU, yes YOU, should stop hating that last 30%, get up and be active so that can help you to feel like a superwoman!

By going to the gym….

1. You will feel like a MILLION BUCKS! Sweating is your bodies personal diamond generating system!

2. You can have that extra cookie (or two) after dinner and feel no guilt

a. But remember not to go overboard, everything worth indulging in is only good in moderation

3. For some, you’ll sleep better at night!

4. You might lose some weight or gain some muscle (if that’s your goal)

5. You’ll get to go shopping for some new clothes (you might need some new workout outfits, or as you lose or gain weight, you’ll need a whole new wardrobe)!

6. Your confidence will skyrocket! Suddenly your backpack will feel less heavy and you’ll feel like you can take on the world!

7. You’ll get tons of compliments on your new-found confidence!

8. Believe it or not, you’ll find that you have more time in the day (you’ll spend less time worrying or complaining about not working out and more time focusing on what needs to get done now that your gym session is out of the way)

9. For 30 minutes a day (or however long you work out), you’ll finally have that personal time to focus on just yourself

10. If your gym’s machines have TVs, you’ll be able to kill two birds with one stone (it’s like having your cake and eating it too)!

Finally, the best part of starting a gym routine while in college – most likely your college tuition (depending on the school) comes with a free gym membership! Even better, schools such as The University of Tampa offer FREE group workout classes from morning to night, available to all levels, to help you get those “bikini body ready” abs in no time!

Before it’s too late, take advantage of all that your schools’ gym has to offer… get up and go play!

"I Just Wanna Go On Adventures, Be Around Good Energy, Connect With People, Learn New Things & Grow" Meghan is currently a senior at the University of Tampa'19 with a passion for all things travel and photography. Founder of The Platinum Passport https://www.theplatinumpassport.net Be sure to follow her travels on insta @The_Platinum_Passport for some wanderlust inspiration!
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely