The college guide to deal with FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

There comes a point in time where every college student becomes stressed. You may be overwhelmed with exams, totally hungover, or feeling the need to workout, but you can’t get out of bed. When having these feelings of doubt, you may want to evaluate the time you are spending alone.

That’s right. Alone. Living with a roommate and surrounded by friends is great, until you get overwhelmed. There’s times when you may need to pass on a night out and just watch Netflix.

The long days of classes and treacherous exams you studied all night for have consumed you. It is important to have time to relax and treat yourself. This can be as simple as a facemask, or painting your nails. Other ways to de-stress can range from going off campus and treating yourself to a nice meal. Maybe even, taking a much needed mid-day nap.

Taking time for yourself can make you value the time you are able to spend with your friends and family. The night you made the choice to stay in and catch up on emails and schoolwork can make the next night out with your friends, all that more fun.

It is rare to have individual time in college. Being surrounded by other students and professors is a vital part of your educational journey. Just remember, reflection time is just as important.

In the end, you want to be able to ground yourself with the busy schedule you may be faced with. Take a walk down Marshall street, grab yourself a coffee, and sit outside. Take that moment to de-stress. Trust me, you need it!

Olivia Ly

Syracuse '21

Olivia is a sophomore public relations student at Syracuse. In her free time you can catch her grabbing a cup of coffee, blogging, or going for a run.