This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

When I was young, I needed eye surgery to correct the length of the strabismus muscle in both of my eyes. The surgery did not have the desired outcome, but I continued treatment with my ophthalmologist. We repeated the same surgical procedure again, and the results were the same. This experience inspired me to become a doctor because of the compassion that I see in my ophthalmologist. Even though full correction was not achieved, he continued to reassure me, explain how the brain and eyes work together, and present options for future treatment. The way he interacts with his patients took away the apprehension of going to the doctor and made me excited to go. I want to give that experience to other people one day by providing compassionate health care.

Biology has been my favorite subject since I took an anatomy class during my junior year. Everything surrounding the human body fascinates me and I would love to spend the rest of my life working to fix it when things go wrong. During my junior year, I had severe lower back pain and had to get an injection in my sacroiliac joint. The doctor that I visited explained the process in detail and let me watch him inject the pain medicine into my joint on the x-ray screen, which I thought was interesting. I hope to be able to help people overcome injury and illness by contributing to research and becoming a doctor.

During my senior year of high school, I volunteered at St. Luke’s in the pharmacy department. I got a behind the scenes look at the health care system and learned about how different departments support each other within the hospital. I enjoyed being in the hospital environment, but I realized that I wanted to be able to interact with patients as part of my career. I want to be a doctor because I want to have a positive impact on the people I am surrounded by.

I believe that research is very important and helps pave the way for doctors to find new cures and treatment strategies. Research is essential to the health care field and I am very excited to be part of something that is so much larger than myself. I am known for being a very hard worker and strive for excellence in all that I do, whether it is individually or part of a team. I am looking forward to a career in health care in which I will be able to make a positive impact on individuals and communities

Hi! I'm Caroline and I go to Susquehanna University in PA. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am a biomedical studies major and I am a member of the swim team.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University