danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

What I’ve Learned From Working at My School’s Career Development Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Last semester I started working as a Student Assistant at my school’s Career Development Center (CDC). I had utilized their services a few times before I started working there and found them to be very helpful! While I’m still no expert (are we ever experts?), I’ve learned even more about all things career now that I’m on the other side of the office.

One of the most important tips I’ve gathered in my experience is to be sure to update your resume frequently. Whenever you acquire a new piece of criteria – whether it be a leadership position in a club, an internship, or something else – you should add it to your resume while it’s still fresh on your mind. You never know when an opportunity will present itself, and you want to be prepared at all times!

Another tool I’ve learned more about is LinkedIn. This online career tool will increase your visibility to potential employers and is a great space to network with alumni from your school, as well as with colleagues, friends, professors, and more. From leadership roles and professional skills to internship and job experience, this platform is an ideal way to display your compelling professional qualities and get your name out there.

Further, scheduling a mock interview is one of the coolest things we do at the CDC, in my opinion. Everyone gets nervous before an interview and wants to be as prepared as possible. One of the best ways to prepare yourself for an interview is to go through the actions without the pressure, otherwise known as a mock interview. I have not done one myself but have heard great feedback about them and just knowing that is an option to better prepare for an actual interview is comforting!

In general, I’ve learned that it’s important to make the most of every opportunity that comes your way and to not be afraid to ask questions. Scheduling an appointment is encouraged, or just stopping in during Susquehanna’s CDC quick questions hours (2-4 PM weekdays) may be more ideal for you. The career center is there to help you and wants to see every student excel. After all, most students go to college with the ultimate goal of graduating and landing a job they love that leads to a fulfilling career. I love working at the CDC and hope that you can take away some useful tips from this article!

Jersey girl who loves The Bachelor, burritos, boybands, and basically anything basic. Member of the Class of 2020 at Susquehanna University studying Stretigic Communications: Advertising and Marketing and Art History.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University