This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

College can definitely be really stressful at times. It’s important to find ways to destress, especially when work starts piling up and finals loom closer. Self-care and stress management are incredibly important to your mental health and well-being. There are many guides for managing stress available on the internet, but here are some of my favorite ways to destress here at school. 

Painting Your Nails

Painting your nails can be really fun because there are so many colors and designs to choose from. Some of my favorite nail colors are purple, blue, silver, and white. Sometimes, I also like to paint an accent nail a different color than the rest. Nail art can be as creative or simple as you want it to be, and there are plenty of tutorials available for reference if you can’t decide on an idea. Painting your nails is a great way to destress because focusing on your nails acts as taking a break from whatever is stressing you out.

Watch a Movie

Watching movies is a great way to take a break and destress. I highly recommend chick flicks like Legally Blonde and Clueless because they are funny and lighthearted. Pop some popcorn in the microwave, throw on some comfy pj’s, and watching your favorite movie on Netflix or another streaming service is a great way to unwind at the end of a stressful day. Funny movies help me feel less stressed, because physically laughing can put me in a better mood.

Face Masks

Face masks appear in about every self-care article ever, but they really do help you relax. My favorite kind of face masks are sheet masks. They are easy to apply and even easier to clean up! Also, they come in so many different types with a lot of different benefits, so you can try them all and figure out what you like the most. Some of my favorites are the relaxing, cleansing, and detoxifying masks. You can find them at Target and the grocery store, and there are also recipes online that you can follow if you want to make your own. 

Go Outside

Assuming that the weather is nice, going outside for a walk or sitting in the sun can really help you relax and destress. It gives you time to clear your head and also soak in some much-needed vitamin D. You could find a walking trail near campus or even just take a few laps around campus to see what’s going on, and it can be as long or as short as you need. Personally, going on walks or sitting outside makes me feel a lot better.

We are all going to go through incredibly stressful times in our lives in college, and hopefully, these tips will make those periods easier to handle. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your friends and family when you are feeling overwhelmed, because their support means a lot and will help as well. Remember to take breaks when you feel that you need it, and feel free to try any of the tips I suggested!

Hi! I'm Caroline and I go to Susquehanna University in PA. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am a biomedical studies major and I am a member of the swim team.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University