This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Some will advise that if you can’t find an opportunity, you should create your own. This is exactly what the members of the Susquehanna University Dance Corporations have done. While Susquehanna does not offer degrees or courses in dance, the Dance Corps makes up for this by providing student-taught classes, events, fundraisers, and an overwhelming amount of support for fellow dancers.  

“The Dance Corps has continuously given me a safe outlet full of creativity, hope, and friendships,” said President Lauren Schnitzer.  

Each year, the Dance Corps provides an opportunity for Susquehanna students to choose from 14 different classes, including pointe, lyrical, hip hop, ballet, modern, contemporary, tap, musical theater, and jazz with intermediate and advanced levels. Additionally, a dance team holds practices and performs at sporting events.  

Even during the recent pandemic, the Dance Corps is determined to reach its end goal. Every year, a performance, known as the Showcase, is brought to the stage. During the Showcase, each class presents a choreographed piece for family, friends, and community members. Each student choreographer, who runs his or her own class or multiple classes, creates a piece through music, costumes, and months of work with students to bring choreography to life. 

Schnitzer elaborates on how the pandemic has impacted the Dance Corps. “We have been holding all fourteen of our dance classes through Zoom since our orientation in August! Preparing for Showcase has been quite different than in years past.” 

All ten of this season’s choreographers have worked incredibly hard to teach their pieces through a screen. It can be difficult for students to stay engaged when they are not in a dance studio, particularly if their space, from rooms (on campus or at home) to the outdoors, is not the easiest to dance in. 

Recently, the Dance Corps has been able to hold in-person classes again for the first time in about a year. “We are still taking things step by step, but we are determined to give our club members the best experience possible,” said Schnitzer. Choreographers and students socially distance and wear masks during their in-person classes in different locations on-campus, including the campus chapel and various meeting rooms.  

The showcase performance will be pre-recorded and made available through a livestream. It will be a unique experience as students will be required to wear masks, but the lighting, the costumes, and the enthusiasm of the dancers will create a performance worth watching. 

“As cliché as it sounds, I am beyond grateful to have this outlet during such an uncertain time,” said Schnitzer. “I’m looking forward to sharing our unconventional production with the campus community! I work with such an amazing group of individuals, and I would do it all over again.” 

Allyson is a graduate from Susquehanna University with a Bachelor of Science in Luxury Brand Marketing and Management. Outside of the classroom, she could be found writing articles for Her Campus, teaching ballet, and singing showtunes.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University