body images 2019 05 03 blossom branch desktop backgrounds 2101187jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 05 03 blossom branch desktop backgrounds 2101187jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Lessons Studio Ghibli Teaches Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Studio Ghibli is one of the most well-known animation studios. The name is even recognizable by those who don’t usually watch Japanese animation. While the stories may be a bit of an acquired taste to some, there is almost nothing else like a Studio Ghibli film. The nostalgia, enchantment, and wonder that comes with watching a work by Studio Ghibli is a unique experience for many reasons, and some of those reasons impact our everyday lives. Directors such as Hayao Miyazaki seem to understand the impact that characters and stories have on individuals, and this notion isn’t taken lightly. There are so many valuable lessons that can be taken from Studio Ghibli.

Appreciate the Little Things  

As many have noted, Studio Ghibli films tend to romanticize the little things. Prolonged shots of characters walking amongst the scenery, studying in a quiet space, or even eating with family remind us of the nice little things in life. Of course, animated food always tends to look more delicious than real food, but Ghibli takes this a step further. The sounds of the food being prepared and enjoyed are intoxicating. The animation almost makes it possible to smell the food, if not taste it. A rain scene in a Ghibli film can remind you of a true rainy day with frames focusing on water dripping off of leaves and hitting the ground. In real life, when you find yourself enjoying a meal, feeling the sunshine on your skin, or completing everyday tasks, you can remember the way that Ghibli movies focus on these small things in order to enhance an experience. We can be fascinated with our own lives in the way that we can be enchanted by such animation. 

Befriend the Child Inside You  

All of the Studio Ghibli films hold imagination in them, and usually bits of fantasy as well. No matter one’s age, it is easy to be enticed by the worlds created by Hayao Miyazaki. Within a documentary that covers Studio Ghibli and the life of Hayao Miyazaki, titled The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, Miyazaki looks out the window of a tall building. He wistfully gazes at the scenery of tiled rooftops and concrete buildings. To anyone else, this might seem like a normal view. However, Miyazaki expresses a vision in his head of characters running over the rooftops and jumping from one to the next. He describes the wonder it would be to run and jump like that as if it were truly possible. We all have a child inside of us that yearns for imagination and creativity, and there is no shame in that. Having fun and thinking of the impossible is not only a skill but an activity that can make life more enjoyable. 

Continue Against the Odds

Many of the Ghibli characters are strong and independent, overcoming their own challenges and learning their own lessons. Whether the story follows a young girl overcoming depression or a witch-in-training on her own for the first time, the characters keep moving forward past the obstacles that they face in order to reach a happy ending. These characters influence us and encourage us to be strong. People reflect those they look up to, and that’s why it is so important to make leading characters admirable. Children and adults alike will soak these characters in and remember them. However, it is important that characters be flawed as well. Nobody is perfect, and that’s just as important to remember. Ghibli characters have their own flaws, from a cowardly and dramatic but loyal and good-hearted wizard to a stubborn but determined fish who longs to turn human. These traits say something about the storytelling that comes with Ghibli films. They embrace and represent humanity, and we can remember this as we push past our own obstacles even if they may not be as extreme as having to break a curse or find one’s way out of the spirit world. 

Remember to Love, Simply

Romance can be found within many of the Studio Ghibli films but in a simple, innocent manner that isn’t seen often in entertainment. Ghibli doesn’t portray romance through glamorous scenes but in little acts of kindness that display love and affection between families, friends, and lovers. The leading characters are there for others whether that’s through handholding, sharing small smiles, or simply listening to one another. These films show us the importance of small acts of love towards others as, often, love prevails over some type of evil or obstacle. Teenage romance pushes two artists to explore their skills and passions. The lovers simply support one another by doing their best individually. The statue of a cat uses words and actions to teach a young girl to believe in herself because in doing so, she will have nothing to fear. In the end, compassion and understanding are key, and Ghibli expresses this. You don’t need to think of a spectacular way to love someone. You just need to express love in everyday actions, even if it’s simply by being alive.

The stories found within Studio Ghibli films won’t be forgotten anytime soon. They are reflected in our actions based on what we take from them just as we take lessons from the characters that we meet and the stories that we are told. What matters most is whether you choose to listen to these lessons and act upon them based on what you value most in life.

Allyson is a graduate from Susquehanna University with a Bachelor of Science in Luxury Brand Marketing and Management. Outside of the classroom, she could be found writing articles for Her Campus, teaching ballet, and singing showtunes.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University