free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Snag Your Dream Summer Internship!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As a college student, one must complete or achieve a set steps in order to receive a degree in the field your in. For Susquehanna students, that means being involved in extracurricular activities, studying abroad through the GO (Global Opportunities) program, or acquiring a paid summer internship. Since, we are in the season of applying for summer internships here are a few tips on how to get the internship of your dreams. 

RESUME: 

If you are trying to snag an internship the traditional way, having a resume is the first step in doing so. This is where you will list your skills, talk about course work relevant to the position your applying to, and any work positions you’ve had or currently hold. Now, this may seem pretty easy and straight forward but keep in mind that your resume must follow a specific template in accordance to the type of major you are studying. I know…its extra, but it’s for the best. Make sure you head to the Career Development Center to have them look over it and answer any questions you might have. 

COVER LETTER: 

Much like a resume, a cover letter gives you the chance to express yourself by explaining specific accomplishments you’ve had that can ultimately benefit the organization or company you are applying to. You must make the Hiring Committee believe that you are the best candidate for the position with the use of real examples from your own life and how that has shaped you into the person you are today. Again, they are cover letter templates that cater to different majors and job positions, so get an expert or even an experienced friend to look over your 1-page cover letter. 

NETWORKING: 

As much as you’ve heard this word said a billion times – its definitely an important one. When you hear the word “networking,” you might think of business men in suits talking to each other as they exchange business cards, but luckily that’s not all it is. Networking is the interaction with an individual that can give you the chance to exchange information to further your career. Essentially, you are building a professional relationship that can potentially help you in the process of getting your summer internship. With the help of today’s technology staying in contact with people of interest is not at all a hard thing. Emails and LinkedIn serve as the best tools that can make and build fast connections with people in the field your in or who simply work at the company you’re looking at. 

INTERVIEW: 

The interview process, if called in for one, is the make-it or break-it part of the entire process. You as the applicant are going to be given the freedom to express yourself orally, face-to-face with a representative of the company or organization you applied to. So, you must make a good 

impression. Questions relating to the position or yourself will be asked, so be prepared. Do as much research as you can, talk about positive things, look excited, make eye contact…etc. For the most part, the interviewer will not only be listening to your response but making the judgment of whether or not you will be someone they would want to work with during the summer. 

As you make your way through college, the execution of these four key factors will give you a head start on what to do or expect from the summer internship. Work hard, and son enough you’ll have the summer internship of your dreams. Best of luck! 

Photo by Corinne Kutz 

https://unsplash.com/search/work?photo=tMI2_-r5Nfo

Veneranda Bautista is a student at Susquehanna University in small town Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. While being an Advertising/Marketing and Spanish double major she finds time to reflect on life, go to the gym, and stay up to date with celebrity news. Born and raised in Brooklyn and daughter of Dominican immigrants have definitely played a pivotal role in the ambitious person she is today. To gain a better taste of who she is personally, make sure to follow her on Instagram: @veny_bau.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.