This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

If there is one goal we all wish to reach in life, it is to be successful. Whether that be in school, work, or day-to-day tasks, each of us has that small drive in us to be better and do better. However, the lingering question is: how the hell do I become successful?

For me, getting out of bed each morning and brushing my teeth is the first success I manage each day, and from there the successes just keep on coming. Successes can come in all shapes and sizes, but if you’re feeling a bit lost on how to start feeling successful, here are some of my tips:

Fill Your Mind With Positive Thoughts

I know how hard it can be to wake up in the morning and say to yourself, “Today is going to be a great day, you’ve got this.” Believe me, it’s a struggle sometimes, but positive connotations and repetitive positive thinking will point you in the right direction. Start small by getting up, doing that assignment you’ve been putting off, and saying, “I’m going to get stuff done today, today I am feeling motivated.” Even if this feels like a stretch, the more you say it the more it becomes true!

Sweat The Small Stuff

My whole life I was told to “not sweat the small stuff” because it won’t get me anywhere. Most of the time, this is completely accurate. “Did I leave my charger in the car? Meh, don’t sweat it, you’ll get it later.” But does later ever actually come, and how many times throughout the day has the loss of your charger crossed your mind and distracted you from other work? My point here is that, although something like this is very miniscule, it can deter you from a day’s worth of hard work, so maybe sweat every now and again.

Tackle Your Big Obstacles

Believe me, NOBODY wants to hear this one, but it’s the facts of life. In the real world, most people recognize you more for completing that big work file or schedule someone needed done, rather than replacing the filter in the coffee pot. Though the small tasks do add up and don’t go unnoticed by some, try to tackle some of your bigger priorities first and see where it takes you!

Have A Plan

I know, another looming idea, but seriously, how do we get anything done without having some sort of plan on how to do it? Whether planning a grocery trip or studying for a final, they should all come with a plan of attack or how you will get from one place to the next. There are bound to be some bumps in the road, but as long as there is a base plan on hand, I am sure you’ll find a way to achieve what you want!

Though some of this might seem out of reach now, just remember we all have to start somewhere. So today, if you haven’t already, fold your clothes, make your bed, write that paper, and take those notes. All of these small seemingly inconvenient tasks are just small successes we fulfill every day! It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but believe me, it’s there! Work hard and think positively, the results may astound you!

Junior at Susquehanna University Journalism/Photography President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Susqu Class of 2022
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University