Alpha Phi Omega at Susquehanna University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Alpha Phi Omega (APO) is a national co-ed service fraternity that has been a staple to Susquehanna’s campus since the 90’s. Members of the Susquehanna chapter have opportunities to do a wide variety of community service projects ranging from walking dogs with Mostly Mutts, playing bingo with the residents at the Greyson View nursing home, decorating for SU Paranormal’s annual haunted house, and dancing along with K through 6th graders at the weekly local YMCA dances.  

APO focuses on three principle pillars: leadership, friendship, and service. Through the opportunities granted by APO, I found myself, along with several other Susqu Her Campus writers, gaining confidence and friendship while giving back to our school and community. So far, four of our writers have found their home as brothers of the organization.

I asked Susqu HC Vice President Morgan Catherman what she loves so much about APO. “I love meeting new people that I wouldn’t have met unless we were both in APO. We have different majors and interests, but service brings us together,” she said. “My favorite part is the feeling I get after I work a service project. I feel like I’m helping out my community and being a useful part of society.”

HC Treasurer Ari Hagarty made the move to join APO this semester, and I can personally attest to her enthusiasm, but when asked what made her so excited about APO, Ari said, “I wanted to join APO because I am all about stepping out of my comfort zone to meet new people and I love community service!” Ari’s been talking for days about how excited she’s been to finally get involved, and she was officially inducted into APO this Wednesday, meaning she’ll get to start service projects soon!

I joined APO last fall on a whim with a little encouragement from another friend. I didn’t really have any idea what I was getting myself into, but getting into APO has been one of my greatest decisions in college thus far. I’ve fallen in love with some of the service projects to the point that I get seriously bummed when my schedule conflicts and keeps me away. More importantly, I’ve found a family in the other members of the organization and found friends I can’t wait to spend time with outside of APO sponsored projects and events. APO is my favorite thing about Susquehanna (aside from Her Campus!) and I’m so glad I get to be a part of it.

The journey to where I want to be includes writing a lot of words and eating a lot of fries. 
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University