stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Finals season is coming up for many of us. It is a time when stress heightens over that one last grade of the year. In addition to that, it is also a time when people may not be taking care of themselves because of the last-minute studying or working on other assignments.

At this time, self-care seems tempting, but it might seem like it will take a lot of time. This is a friendly reminder to “do it for yourself.”

And when I say that, I mean that you need to take time for yourself and do what you need for yourself too. It may seem hard, especially when deadlines are coming one after another. It might not seem like there is ever time to do anything until after all these finals are over. However, good self-care comes in all different forms. There are some simple ways to care for yourself that people do not always remember.

Eat healthy

It is a good idea to get in a nutritious meal instead of convenient snacks that can be healthy. It gives you more energy in the long run, and it is overall better for your health. If not, at least keep fruit nearby when you study or when you’re finishing a paper/presentation because you’re more likely to gravitate towards it if it’s close by. And do not forget to drink water because hydration helps fight the fatigue. Coffee might seem ideal, but exhaustion can come out of being dehydrated, so water is a much better option.

Get sleep

Hopefully, you are getting around eight hours of sleep each night. Listen to your body and its needs. If you are not getting the proper amount of sleep, it makes it harder to get through the day. Your focus is not as good as it could be, which is not helpful around this time of year. I recommend putting aside time for a nap if you are not getting the sleep you need. Naps are so good because you ultimately feel a little more well-rested than you were before the nap. Take care of your body because the benefits are rewarding.

Take breaks

During the times I have to write a paper, I usually do it a little at a time. As great as it can be to do it in one go, you are overexerting yourself. It is good to give yourself breaks because you give your brain a break too. It helps you refocus a little, and it really is good for moments when you are slowly feeling more frustrated. Take some time for yourself in order to work in the best mindset. Set a timer for yourself to go on a break every half hour to make sure you are taking a moment to stretch or get up every once and a while. This is a good incentive for you to keep going because it does get hard to focus if you were doing the same thing for a long period of time. You might have the habit of looking at your phone if it is next to you instead of doing your work. By giving yourself a break, it will make it easier for you to balance the time for yourself and for the work you have to do.

Take a moment to breathe and remember that it will be okay

Remember that while your grades and academic career is important, your health is just as important. There are so many self-care routines out there, but it is the basics that people tend to forget. By taking care of yourself in little ways, you are still helping yourself. Self-care does not have to be the extensive facial routines, yoga exercises, or buying a lot of nicely-scented candles. As long as you are doing what is right and healthy for yourself, that qualifies as self-care.

So, do it for yourself. Make sure you are treating yourself properly. I get that it seems too difficult to accomplish this while working on other things, but there is always time in the day for yourself. Even a minute of your time to just breathe is good enough. Good luck on your finals!

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University