neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

“Are We Doing Enough?”

This is a question I ask myself sometimes. Now, it has been even more fueled since the question arose in my Women Studies class. We were asked if we are really doing much if we are using the Internet to make a change. For the most part, the class was in the middle with that question.

I could never make a real case for it. There is always a different way of looking at something. For sure, it would be nice if the Internet could help make a change. And it is in a way. But overall, are we really getting somewhere? Or is it just us voicing our opinions, yet never making a move?

The power of social media is its ability to inform people. We are able to stay constantly updated because we are constantly on social media. It is our form of connection with the rest of the world.

However, are we really able to make much of a change with social media? Or are we just passively making remarks about certain topics?

There are times when I look into the comment section of a post, and I see all these voices online. The issue is that even though these voices are public, they are not usually given as much attention because this is the Internet. It is a big, digitalized world where people can hide behind a mask and have an easier time vocalizing their opinions. But because of that benefit of the mask, more people can voice their opinions, and they begin to overshadow each other.

Now, once again, I am not saying that people are not making a change on social media. There are great outcomes from social media too. The wide spread of information is an important aspect of social media. I will always appreciate how the Internet has kept me connected with the news because social media is almost like my form of a news channel. I hear the voices and opinions of others. It helps me form my own opinions.

Even so, my biggest problem is the lack of action that can be possibly done. I understand there are different reasons for why people are unable to participate in the wider movement. Yet, when all we do is just say our opinions online, does that garner enough attention to make a change?

Even though it is debatable how much we are doing by forming a movement online, I do acknowledge the little things people do. I was once told that we need to celebrate our little accomplishments. I am proud of the efforts of the people who are out there, showing people a different point of view or informing others of what we easily overlook.

There are steps being made, but there is always a little more that can be done.

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University