Style > Decor

6 Ways to Decorate Your Dorm for the Holidays on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Even broke college students want to be festive for the holidays. Here are some ways to make your dorm reflect the spirit of the holiday season!  

Make paper snowflakes 

Not only are these inexpensive to make, but they’re also fun! It may seem childish to make paper snowflakes, but it’s a great way to decompress with friends and take a break from all the work you may have.

Wrap your door like a gift box

Wrapping paper is inexpensive and there are so many different fun designs to choose from. Grab a roll that speaks to you and wrap your door like you would wrap a gift box!

Place a mini fake Christmas tree, menorah, or snowman on your desk

What are the holidays without a symbol to denote the holiday/season you’re celebrating? You can find any of these items at Target, Amazon, or maybe even Five Below or the dollar store.  

Add a wreath to your door or wall

Decorate your door or wall with a small wreath. It’s classy! You can pick one up just about anywhere, like Target or Walmart.  

Hang some stockings

Line your wall with stockings along with your roommates. Maybe you can even have your friends fill each other’s stockings. 

Place scent sticks around your room

Most dorms don’t allow candles, but you can get scent sticks that you can place around your dorm to make it smell like the holidays! They come in a variety of different smells such as winter fir, cinnamon, and pine. 

Hopefully this inspires you to decorate in the holiday spirit!

Jersey girl who loves The Bachelor, burritos, boybands, and basically anything basic. Member of the Class of 2020 at Susquehanna University studying Stretigic Communications: Advertising and Marketing and Art History.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University