Tips Olympians Use to Stay Fit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As we are all bundled up in our winter coats and hats shivering as we walk to class, the athletes of the 2014 Winter Olympics are sweating in Sochi, Russia. They are sweating due to their intense training and workouts to prepare themselves for their winter events. The athletes of the winter Olympics are known for their hard work and dedication….how else are they able to have their amazing abs and butts? With the help of their eating habits and workout routines you could look fit and healthy for spring break this year too! I know that there are tons of you strong and dedicated women out there who will be able to focus and get the spring break bodies they deserve and want.

1. Food: When trying to become fit, it is not all about working out. It is 50% workout, 50% about what you eat. Getting lunch or dinner at school or work can really make or break your diet. Many restaurant foods are packed with sodium or “good fat” to make the food taste better to the consumer. Even “healthy” restaurant chains will trick you. For example, Subway has processed meat that is filled with sodium and flash freezes their vegetables.

The best way to avoid all of the extra oils, hidden sodium, and fat is to make all of your meals yourself. Make sure to incorporate lots of vegetables and protein into your diet. Still eat breads, but try to mix it up by using whole grains. Cut your bread intake in half, and double your vegetable intake.

Another trick is to eat your vegetables, then meat, and follow it with anything else. This allows your body to be filled up with healthy things first, before moving on to empty calories that tend to be found in many carbohydrates. By making your meals on your own, you will know exactly what is going into your dishes.

Food at the Games: Food fuels the body, and each athlete demands a particular kind of sustenance. For instance, a 250-pound bobsledder requires proteins like steak to compete, while an endurance athlete like a cross-country skier needs carbs to go the distance. To aid the more than 2,000 competitors in their quest for the gold, the culinary artists behind the 2010 Vancouver Olympics spent four years researching and planning the cuisine for The Games. They began by reviewing a 400-page International Olympic Committee (IOC) manual, which is very specific about the food for the 85 nations that are represented. Interestingly enough, McDonald’s is very popular with athletes due to the amount of energy they are burning every day. However I would not suggest eating McDonald’s if you are trying to lose weight.

2. Drinks: Cut out all sweet liquids. This not only can cut many calories out of your daily diet, but it will make certain that you are hydrated for your workouts. If you need to have some flavor in your water, mix fruit in your water. My favorite is putting lemon, mint leaves, and cucumber in my water. Besides the fact that it tastes amazing, the vitamins are extracted from the plants and are absorbed into your body. Another trick to feel fuller before and after you eat is to drink a large glass of water 30 minutes before and after you eat. This process helps you digest things better and is easier on your body. 

3. Workouts: When working out, it is important to always push yourself and to never do the same thing every day. When you stick to the same routine, your body can get used to it and the workout will not be as effective as it normally could be. Make sure that you switch between legs, arms, abs, fat burn and cardio exercises.

Here are a few tips for legs that Apolo Ohno does: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/one-off-workout-6-moves….

It is all about doing interval training. So whether it is running or doing the elliptical, make sure you do an interval with your time. If you do 30 minutes of running, break it into three sections so that you run for ten minutes and then jog/walk for 1 minute, then start up again with the second 10 minutes.

Here are some facts about interval training: http://www.examiner.com/article/top-fitness-trends-for-2014-interval-tra….

When you go to do weights with your arms or legs make sure that you do not lock your arms or legs when exercising. Locking your arms or legs can cause serious damage to your bones and muscles. Again, do intervals with lifting. 

For example: The first week of the 6 weeks before spring break, start doing reps of 10 with a 30 second break between each set. Do about 4-5 sets for each machine you do. The second week do 11, the third do 12 reps and so on. 

This website has multiple workout routines that fits everyone’s style: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html.

Make sure to stay positive and get into a routine. When you get into a workout routine it will be easier for you to fit it into your busy schedule, and you will have more energy throughout the day. That is why they train and eat to maintain the energy they are using. It is hard to do a workout like the Olympians because they work out all day every day. There are different workouts for every different sporting event athlete. Plus with the amount of time they work out they need to consume many more calories than a typical person would who just wanted to work out to get fit. So in this article I simply included tips that the Olympians use. Now get to work ladies!

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.