This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With having to stay at home due to the restrictions that COVID-19 has set in place, it is easy to lose motivation. Without the commute to campus or work, events to attend and places to be, routines are lost and laziness kicks in easily.

It is important for your mental wellbeing to feel happy and productive. As a college student during a time full of limitations and change, it is difficult to feel this way. Here are some tips on how to get out of a funk and have a productive day:

1. Wake up early and get ready for the day.

To attend online classes, all students need to do is to wake up, roll over and open up their laptop. I know how comfortable it is to sit in bed all day with your camera off, listening to your professor lecture on. However, spending your days like this can make you feel tired and sluggish.

Instead, I have found that I felt more energetic when I started waking up early in the day and getting ready as I would for in-person classes. By physically preparing yourself for the work you have to do, it can motivate you mentally as well. This can start your day off right, establish a routine and give you a purpose for the day.

2. Make a to-do list

Although it can be tedious and you may feel like it is unnecessary, making a list or a schedule for the day can help you get more done and give you a feeling of accomplishment. After crossing off a project I have been working on for five minutes or five hours makes me feel like I have achieved something, and encourages me to move on to the next task. It also helps me organize my day so I don’t get discouraged by the overwhelming amount of work I may have.

3. Reward yourself after accomplishing tasks

After crossing a goal off your to-do list, take a break and do something you enjoy. Watch a youtube video, take a walk outside, make some food or read a few pages of your favorite book. This will help you keep going throughout the day and will give you something to look forward to while you are in class or completing an assignment. It will also encourage you to stay focused while you are working.

That being said, be careful not to spend too much time taking breaks. I know how easy it is to scroll through social media for hours without even realizing it. I have found it helpful to set a timer for five to 10 minutes between tasks.

4. Change your environment

Find a few locations that you work best and move around to these spots throughout the day. This could be a local coffee shop, the library or your desk.

Sitting at a table has proven to help me work more productively rather than laying down in my bed.

5. Work in a clean space

I like to spend the first few minutes of my day cleaning my space. This is an easy way to start off effectively, especially when you can see the results of your work. Working in an organized area is less overwhelming and provides fewer distractions.

Also, making your bed might discourage you from crawling back in during the day!

Julia is is the College Fashionista Editorial Intern at Her Campus Media. On the few occasions she is not writing, you can find her buried in the latest issue of Vogue, binging "Sex and the City" for the hundredth time, or drinking too much coffee. As a senior at Suffolk University, she is currently studying abroad in London, England. Follow Julia on Instagram @jahaesy.
Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.