Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Wellness

5 best places to go hiking this fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Fall in New England is one of the most spectacular times of the year. With the array of vibrant red, yellow, and orange foliage and the move towards colder weather, it is the perfect time to relax, bring out your warm clothes, and sip on some warm apple cider. With COVID this year, it has put a temporary stop to many of the usual fall activities that we enjoy. However, this time has given everyone the chance to explore the great outdoors. Recently, I have gotten the chance to hike and appreciate the best that fall has to offer. Below, I have provided a list of the 5 best places in New England to hike if you decide to do the same:

1. Mount Washington

Located just north of the White Mountains in New Hampshire, Mount Washington is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States. There are 21 difficult trails if you are an experienced hiker, and many other ones if you are just starting out. Mount Washington also offers the chance to take a drive down the Auto Road, which gives spectacular views of the whole area. No matter where you are, it’s worth the trip to see the fall foliage and everything that New Hampshire has to offer.

2. Franconia Notch State Park

Located in Lincoln, NH, it is a park and nature reserve that stretches 8 miles along Interstate 93. The entire area is filled with different trails and exciting views of the area. There is an endless number of trails of all different levels of difficulty. I visited here with a group of friends and it was extremely fun to do my first official hike there. There were a lot of tourists on the particular trail I visited, but it was worth the trip with the spectacular views at the end.  The area surrounding includes Cannon Mountain and the Kancamangus Highway, both are also worth visiting if you are looking to appreciate the fall weather in the area.

3. Wachusett Mountain

Located in Worchester County, Massachusetts, Wachusett Mountain is a great place to hike for people with all skill sets. It is a single mountain on a relatively flat landscape, so it makes for an easier trek to the top. Wachusett Mountain is a popular hiking and skiing destination for those from New England. Whether you’re looking to appreciate the beautiful New England foliage or catch some slopes in the colder weather, this is definitely a place to visit!

4. Mount Mansfield

Located in Stowe, Vermont, Mount Mansfield is Vermont’s highest mountain. Known for its sweeping views, one can do some ridge- top hiking above the tree line for miles. Mount Mansfield is also one of only two places in Vermont where rare artic-alpine tundra exists, so prepare to dress warm if you visit!

5. Acadia National Park

Being Maine’s only national park, Acadia is filled with so many great mountain hikes, varying in difficulty. It is a common place for visitors to camp and get the complete outdoor experience. Also, during the early fall time is when Maine’s best fall foliage is on display. The most popular trail that people hike when visiting Acadia is the Penobscot and Sargent Mountains Loop, which stretches for 9.5 miles.

Whether you are a homebody or someone looking for adventure, now is the perfect time to get outside and appreciate all that fall has to offer.

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.