Fitness Blogger: The Best Gym-Free Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Being a university student means that you’re busy. You have to juggle classes, homework, studying, and sometimes a job. When you get back to your place all you really want to do it collapse in bed!

It’s hard getting to the gym every single day, or even just a few times a week with such a busy schedule. I’m going to show you some quick and easy workouts that you can do right in your dorm room or apartment! You don’t need to be at the gym every single day to get fit!

With all of these workouts, I would still suggest adding a bit more activity to your life and of course having a healthy diet, but they’re a great start!

The first workout I suggest is Jillian Michael’s 30-Day Shred. This workout program is divided into three levels, with each one lasting ten days. Jillian includes cardio and strength training into a 20 minute workout each day. Now, 20 minutes of working out a day doesn’t seem like much but Jillian really pushes you during this short amount of time.

You can find this workout on YouTube for free, or if you want to put it on your TV you can buy it at Walmart or Target.

The second workout is HASfit’s Free 30-Day Challenge to Get in Shape Workout Plan. The name is a mouthful, but this is one of my favourite workout plans! You’re required to work out five days a week, and you’re allowed two days off. They give you a calendar with the different workouts you will do each day.

This plan combines abs, strength training, and cardio. This is also a quick program to do, because it never takes you more than 30 minutes! To get this work out you can go to HASfit’s website. They also have many other plans for people at different fitness levels.

My third and final workout is the ACE Fitness At-Home (No Equipment) Workout. This one includes a warm up, exercises, and a cool down for a full at-home workout.

This is a bodyweight-only routine, so there’s no equipment necessary. The purpose behind a workout where you use only your own bodyweight is to improve muscular strength and endurance. This workout only needs to be done two to three times a week, with one full day in-between each workout. You can find this plan on ACE Fitness’s website.

While doing these workouts at home be sure that you’re still pushing yourself. Just because there aren’t people around, doesn’t mean that you can slack off! With these plans being as short as they are, you really need to put all of your effort into them to get the full impact.

Don’t forget to keep up with a healthy diet and just be as active as possible in your daily life. You don’t need to spend hours at the gym each days to be in shape and healthy!

I'm Alyssa Richard and I came to Fredericton from Moncton! I fell in love with writing in grade five when I wrote my first short story and I discovered my love of journalism when I was in my first year of high school. I plan to major in journalism here at STU and possibly do a double major in communications. Other than writing I love going to the gym, cheerleading, reading and just hanging out with friends. I'm super excited for this year and can't wait to see what it brings!