Thoughts We All Have at Uni During Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

We’ve only been back at uni for a month and already here we are pulling out the bobble hats and electric blankets, dreaming of that summer backpacking through Europe. As the winter months grow nearer, getting up for those 9am lectures or gathering the motivation – and let’s face it, courage – to venture out to the library for a study session becomes so much more difficult. Well, keep reading for thoughts we’ve all had on those dark days at university during the winter!

I Can’t Remember What Daylight Is

You leave early in the morning and you’d swear it was still the middle of the night it is so dark outside. Then when you are lucky if a day gives you 8 hours of daylight, it’s most likely that by the time you leave your final lecture, you’re right back where you started – in the darkness! By the end of December you’re not sure you even remember what daylight was like – at least no one will be able to see how stressed you are.

So, SO Cold!

There’s nothing that convinces us to stay in bed more than knowing that when you leave the warmth of your duvet, you’re going to be hit with the freezing cold. Even once you’ve mustered the courage to leave your bed, got ready and wrapped yourself up in about a thousand layers, heading for the warmth of your nearest uni building, there’s no guarantee that your university’s heating will even be working. But hey, nothing will keep your more alert and awake than a baltic lecture hall.

All the Layers, No Space

Once you’ve arrived at uni and found a seat in one of those tiny lecture hall rows, you come to the same crushing realisation you had the day before. You have a minimum of 4 layers on plus a hat and gloves – and barely have room to take off your coat. We’ve all spent many lectures and tutorials surrounded by a pile of our winter warmers with more on our lap – it’s comfy though! 

Pumpkin Spice Everything! 

Do we even need to elaborate? If it’s winter and you’ve had less than 3 minutes to spare before your next tutorial, but you’ve made your way over to the Student Union and picked  up their most festive hot drink – and probably a few more snacks that you intended.

IT’S CHRISTMAS! 

Even the bleakest of days at university can be made so much better with even the mention of Christmas and that glorious month long Christmas break we get to enjoy after all the stress is over. If you need something to push through your 3rd assignment of the day: don’t stress out too much – Santa is coming! 

Business student at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.