Strathclyde is Striking!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Industrial action has continued into the New Year as higher education staff at Strathclyde, and across the country, speak out against pay cuts.  

The first of a planned series of strikes throughout the university semester took place on 28th January and 6th of February. The university have confirmed that another will take place on the 10th of this month.

Staff at Strathclyde particularly felt anger and frustration as a result of experiencing pay cuts whilst bosses saw their earnings increase.

A coalition of Trade Unions, including the UCU, Unison, Unite and EIA, have come together to fight their cause. Unhappy with the below-inflation 1% pay deal offered to them, higher education workers have continued their battle for fair pay.  Unions have therefore proposed a series of full day and two hour strikes throughout the semester.

The Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA) have also sparked outrage by encouraging universities to deduct a full day’s pay for those who participate in two hour strikes. However Strathclyde have stated that they have made the decision to deduct only two hours of work based on their employee’s hourly rate for the industrial action carried out on the 28th of January and the 6th of February. Although, this may not necessarily be the case for future two hour strike action taken.

Students will experience continuing disruption to their classes throughout the semester. It could be the case that lectures and tutorials will be cancelled and on some occasions, at short notice.

With regards to student support of the strikes, the university have stated that respect for the picket line will not count as a valid reason for not attending lectures and tutorials. This will place many Strathclyde students in an uncomfortable position as students are forced into a choice between abandoning their beliefs and jeopardising their education. Is it unfair for the university to ask this of their students? It could certainly be argued so.

The higher education strikes tell a story about the wider political climate in the UK as pay cuts and freezes are experienced by various public sector workers. Strathclyde have particularly felt the brunt of budget cuts for some years now. In fact, these cuts have resulted in the Geography, Sociology and Community Education departments shutting down. As a consequence, many of the staff are facing potential unemployment. Students are also finding it difficult to carry out their studies to the best of their ability as a result of the lack of resources available to them.

Notifications about industrial action will be posted on Myplace and the university website.

Photo Credits:

socialistworker.co.uk

socialistworker.co.uk