Your “Prayers and Condolences” Are Bullsh*t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Your “prayers and condolences” are bullsh*t. Plain and simple. They do absolutely nothing to help a situation. On February 14, a day meant to be spent full of love and happiness, another school shooting occurred. The Florida high school has lost 17 students and adults combined so far. Now I must ask, when is enough finally enough?

How many innocent lives must be taken due to guns being in the wrong hands? How many government officials are going to tweet out their condolences to victims and families before laws finally change? It is too easy to buy a gun in this country. Military grade weaponry should not be available to the everyday citizen, but it is due to our 2nd Amendment rights. The line has to be drawn somewhere though. Civilians should not have access to assault rifles.

There have been 18 school shootings in the U.S in 2018 alone. So many that several have not even made large headlines. This has become the norm for our country, and as unfortunate as that is I do not see change anywhere in the near future. Sandy Hook was the turning point for gun laws, when lawmakers decided that killing children was okay, everything was over; there was no chance of gun laws ever being restricted after that. Shootings used to be rare occasions, made headlines, and were talked about for weeks after the event but now there are so many that it is hard to keep up with. It feels as though once the grief from one shooting is passing, another is happening in another state.

I hope to one day live in a country where children and young adults are not scared to go to school. The “it can’t happen to me” mentality is quickly disappearing. Living in fear is no way to live which is why I say:

Your prayers and condolences are bullsh*t, Mr. President. Do something about it; make a change.

Deanna Albohn

Stony Brook

I am a sophomore at Stony Brook University, currently studying psychology. I hope to switch to journalism to pursue a career in music journalism.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor