Career

Women-Owned Small Businesses Spotlight: Crescent Crystals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Amber Wright started her small business, Crescent Crystals, in January of 2020. While she had spent the last few years growing and developing her craft and artistry it wasn’t until January of 2020 that she decided to pursue what she loved most: designing outfit accessories. 

Amber’s business contains mainly masks as well as a few tee shirts right now, but she plans on expanding her accessory line soon. There are various designs of masks available including bling, neon- which light up in black and blue light as well as vinyl masks, reflective masks and she also makes custom items as well. She has a growing ambassador program as part of her business as well.

As a trained esthetician, Amber is all too familiar with how the skin can react to materials.

“I like to be conscious of the materials that I use and consider all skin types whether it may be sensitive, dry or oily- my materials are always safe to wear. As of right now, I work with 100% cotton and recycled cotton, but my goal is to be a completely sustainable business in the future.” 

Caring for the masks are easy as you can hand wash them with warm soap and water.

“Just like you would with a thin vintage t-shirt, Wright stated. She does recommend using a good hand steamer, but it is not necessary.

The masks are all hand designed by Amber, in her studio in Phoenix, Arizona. She gathers inspiration for her designs from various sources.

“Whether it’s through music, film, visual art, literature, or food. I’ll design something based on an overall idea of several elements.” She also gathers ideas from her travels although since traveling has been restricted due to COVID-19 she has been using the internet to travel and see what is trending around the world online , 

“I like to look into what’s trending at the time. I’ll get an idea and add my own personal aesthetic to it like rhinestones! I’m all about that flashy look.” 

Amber cites her business is inspired in whole by her grandmother, who was a bold woman herself and who Amber describes as “having a closet full of radiant clothing.”

“She’s an inspirational person, never one to follow and defines leadership with fashion. Her wardrobe is endless. Anytime I visit her, I’m lost in her collection of accessories. She truly owns anything flashy! I love it. Ultimately, the vision of my business came from her.”

Amber continued on with a very insightful and inspiring comment regarding her products and inspiration, 

“I used my passion for creativity and focused on designing things that make people feel confident and sexy. I want to give people a chance to stand out and say, “this is me.” Because of her, I’ve been able to help people feel extravagant. Life’s too short to hide the beautiful parts of you.” 

Amber is also giving back. For every mask that is purchased she donates one to the St. Vincent De Paul Foundation. Amber once again cited her grandmother for instilling the importance of selflessness and giving back, 

“With this business, I do have the chance to give back to people and I will try my best to continue to do so for as long as I can. Personally, I know what it’s like to be in need. I’ve experienced uncertain and helpless times in my life. I understand what it’s like to need a hand up and rely on others. With that said, charities hold a special place in my heart. I’ll always be happy to give back to my community if it means it’ll bring someone peace and certainty.” 

The products are amazing they look factory made. These hand made products have each crystal spaced perfectly apart. It really is clear how much care and thought is put into each piece. The mask fabric itself is soft and the masks are comfortable to wear. Here is some video of her Aqua AB Bling Mask. There is no filter on the video so as you can see it sparkles like nothing else, certainly a lot more than a mask that costs under $30. 

For more information or to purchase her products check out Crescentcrystals.com

You can also check out the company’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/crescentcrystals

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.