Wilmington, North Carolina Should Be Your Next Vacation Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Wilmington, North Carolina is a charming city that sits between the Cape Fear River and
Wrightsville Beach. The sweet smell of Kilwins encapsulates Market Street as you approach
The Riverwalk.

As you navigate the quaint streets, you may even recognize famous filming locations of the hit
drama series One Tree Hill and Dawson’s Creek.

I discovered Wilmington through my love for One Tree Hill. I experienced the trip of a lifetime in
November 2022 attending A Week in Tree Hill hosted by Friends With Benefit Charity events.
These events raised money for organizations including St. Jude’s. A week-long event of
creating everlasting friendships, meeting the bighearted cast and enjoying all that Wilmington
has to offer.

To start your trip, head to Cheeky Monkey Coffee for an assortment of coffee, lattes, and baked
goods. My favorite is their vanilla twist latte with caramel and vanilla.

Following your sweet treat, you can head down to The Riverwalk. The Riverwalk spans two
miles of a sunny view of the Cape Fear River and Battleship Park.

On any given day, there is a serene atmosphere at Battleship Park directly across from the
lively buzzing of downtown. If you visit during the semester, this is the perfect location to relax
and de-stress while admiring the view.

There is tons of history in Wilmington. The US North Carolina Battleship is right across the Cape
Fear Bridge. Visit Battleship North Carolina for knowledge on this World War II piece of history.
For all your shopping needs there are various small businesses and boutiques worth a visit.

Modern Legend carries vinyl records of all your favorite artists, accessories, and beyond. Edge
of Urge has goodies for everyone from fashion to jewelry and perfect-sized gifts for your friends
that will fit in your carry-on. ‘edet by Island Passage is a boutique with stylish pieces.

Market Street is home to the Black Cat Shoppe and Krazy Mikez. Krazy Mikez selection of One
Tree Hill merchandise is endless. Here I purchased postcards to send back home to my friends
and family.

The Black Cat Shoppe has a great selection of fun items you can’t find anywhere else. It was so
important to me to support the local businesses of the city I enjoy visiting.

There is no shortage of delightful restaurants. For breakfast or lunch, The Dixie Grill will be
crowded with patrons. Their menu is worth any wait. My favorite is the Turkey Bacon Wrap. My
friends and I crowded seven of us into a booth. This was my favorite place to eat.

The George on The Riverwalk encompasses two great features. A view of the river while the
sun shines and a delicious menu. My favorite is the Three Cheese Ravioli. There was nothing
like eating a meal with a view of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge.

If you are looking for traditional dishes and a tasty dinner, dine in at Circa 1922. My favorite dish
is their Tagliatelle Bolognese. I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant as did my friends. The vibes
were just what we were looking for.

A post-dinner at Kilwins, before a starry night stroll on The Riverwalk, is a must. The multitude
of flavors to choose from are bound to put a smile on any face. On your way, you may want to
stop at the notable Naley bench featured on One Tree Hill sitting next to the dock of the river.
This may leave you wondering where your Nathan Scott is?

Live music is a staple of Wilmington. The Reel Cafe not only has delicious seafood but live
music.

Whether you head to Wilmington on a girl’s trip or with your family, who doesn’t love singing
karaoke? Karaoke is also offered at The Reel Cafe every Friday and Saturday night. This is
where I want to sing Pop Punk songs of the early 2000’s.

If fitness fun is on your list, head to Recess by Bevin Prince. One Tree Hill alum Bevin Prince
started her own cycling business in 2020. A part of their mission is to, “bring back play.” At
Recess, your experience level does not matter as long as you are having fun.

A few miles from downtown Wilmington is Airlie Gardens. Its grounds date back to 1884. The
gardens span 67 acres of luscious greens and elegant flowers. There are also art sculptures. It
is the perfect location to bask in the beauty of nature.

A day at Wrightsville Beach is necessary on any trip to Wilmington. Wrightsville Beach spans
miles of sandy beaches and exquisite sunshine. After a day at the beach, have a bite to eat at
Tower 7 Baja Mexican Grill. A favorite menu item of mine are the tacos in a beach towel, with a
Diet Coke on the side.

There are a million reasons why Wilmington, North Carolina should be your next vacation
destination. These locations are just a glimpse of the charm. These experiences were from my
first ever visit.

I know there is so much more to explore and taste. Dive into Wilmington. You will be counting
the days until next time, I know I am!

Lara Thebold

Stony Brook '23

Lara Thebold is a senior at Stony Brook University studying Mass Communications. She loves pop culture, One Tree Hill and Taylor Swift.