Life > Experiences

Why Thanksgiving Is My Favorite Holiday: The 5 Fs of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I have always looked forward to the month of November (hey that rhymed!). The weather is perfect, the streets are decorated with beautiful colors, and now the most exciting holiday is approaching – Thanksgiving. There are so many amazing traditions that come along with this amazing festive day that is often undermined because of the other big celebrations with other holidays. 

Having a day like Thanksgiving allows me to reflect on all the important things in my life and remember how crucial it is to be thankful for what you have. Below, I have written my personal favorite attributes about the holiday that makes it so special in my heart. I have highlighted the 5 Fs of my Thanksgiving, writing a personal memoir, and expressing my gratitude to each of these things…

Football 

One of my favorite traditions of Thanksgiving is sitting down and watching football. Growing up, football was always part of my soul. From watching the game with my family, going to the stadium with friends, and making a turkey-bowl bet, it is one of the most exciting parts of the day. I have always been a huge Steelers fan, finding love for the team by watching how much my father loved them. My sister was never really a fan of football, so this was a commonality my dad and I always shared; it felt like our thing and made me feel so close to him. This year the NFL games will kick off with Bears Vs. Lions, Raiders Vs. Cowboys, and the Bills Vs. Saints. I am extremely excited about these games since my grandfather is a fan of the Raiders and my Uncle is a fan of the Cowboys. There will definitely be some funny jokes and disses at the table this year. Who will win? I’m putting my money on the Cowboys! 

Food

How can anyone not love the delicious foods spread across the Thanksgiving table?  There are options for everyone as each side dish has a special purpose for its attendance. My mother is the cook for Thanksgiving, creating an amazing meal for sometimes twenty-plus people! I love that she always incorporates special dishes and family secret recipes for my family members, ensuring that everyone feels part of the celebration. For as long as I can remember, Thanksgiving is the holiday spent at my home so there is definitely a little pressure to make sure everything comes out perfect. The cleaning and preparing all feel worthwhile when we sit down, say grace, and dig in, filling up our empty bellies. What you might find on my plate you ask? Definitely some sweet potato with marshmallows, macaroni and cheese, ham, turkey, biscuits (especially if they are Pillsbury Doughboy Crescent Rolls), and don’t even get me started on the festive desserts! My family usually eats earlier in the day, but it seems like we never stop eating since the food just keeps coming out! Seriously, what is better than a holiday revolving around food?!

Family

Thanksgiving is all about family; this recurring tradition allows for family members to gather together for a nice meal and remember the importance of togetherness. Hosting Thanksgiving at my house since I was young is such an amazing tradition in my family, having my extended family excited about what we will be making, what games we’ll play, and what hilarious events will ensue at the Thanksgiving table because let’s be honest, something always goes wrong on Thanksgiving! Because this celebration is hosted at my family home, both my mother and father’s side of the family gather together; it is the best of both worlds. Catching up with my cousins is always such a great part of the day, hearing about what they are doing in life, and finding motivation in their accomplishments. An amazing tradition we always endure on this day is going around the table and saying three things we are grateful for; it’s so heartwarming and an eye-opener to the many things we take for granted, remembering that each and every day is something to be thankful for. I know this is a tradition I will pass down to my children and I hope that I get to host Thanksgiving when I am older, to give back to my mother for all the years she dedicated to making sure that my family had an amazing Turkey Day. What are you thankful for this year? 

Festive Television Shows

There’s nothing better than kicking back on the couch with a filled-up belly and watching some of the best festive shows on television. I still can remember the day I spent my Thanksgiving at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Seeing how enormous the balloon floats were was such a spectacular memory. I make sure to always turn on the parade as soon as I wake up on Thanksgiving morning, getting everyone in the mood for such a fun food-filled day! Some other things to look out for on television are movie marathons, National Dog Show, and so many other Thanksgiving celebrations across so many channels. Cuddling up on the couch, tired from the turkey and what feels like endless preparation is such a nice way to end the day. There are going to be some new floats at the Thanksgiving Day Parade so make sure to look out for them. 

Friends

Coming home for Thanksgiving Break feels like a slow-motion run to the long-lost love of your life. An amazing factor of Thanksgiving is that I am finally able to see my childhood friends. Growing up together, the difficulty of leaving to go away to school is so saddening, going months without seeing each other, living our lives on different sides of the country. Thanksgiving break gives the opportunity for everyone to come back together for a fun reunion to celebrate each other’s independence and share amazing stories. Thanksgiving Eve is one of the greatest nights; we all go out, get some good food, have great laughs, and create amazing memories, and the next day is the perfect recovery for any bad headaches. This year, as a member of Sigma Delta Tau, my chapter was able to sit down and do a Friendsgiving. Everyone cooked up something super good and we all sat down together and remembered the importance of women empowerment and supporting one another. This was my first time being part of this and I had such an amazing time, and always recommend Friendsgiving with your besties, it is always a hit! 

Erin Stark

Stony Brook '21

Hello! My name is Erin Stark. I am a senior at Stony Brook University. I am studying as an English major along with a film and screen studies minor. I am a member of Sigma Delta Tau sorority at Stony Brook. Some of my favorite things to do in my spare time are watch movies, write stories, hang with friends, drink iced coffee, and shop!