Why H&M’s Stunning New Ad is Totally Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

H&M has just released their new autumn 2016 campaign ad and it aims to challenge society’s view of what femininity means. The video is set to a remake of Tom Jones’ 1971 hit “She’s A Lady” by Lion Babe. Although the original song was once a misogynistic classic of how society defines a woman, Lion Babe’s remake has transformed the song into a feminist anthem.

The ad features all kinds of women looking, feeling and existing however they want. From “man spreading” on a subway, to a girl with a buzz cut– the video is a totally feminist commentary on what it means to be a woman today. In contrary to other fashion ads this commercial is meant to show women that actual “womanhood” encompasses far more experiences than other ads would have you believe. Simply put, as women we define who we are.  

Size diversity? Check.

Racial diversity? Check.

Strong, athletic bodies? Check.

Age diversity? Check.

LGBTQ representation? Check.

Thank you H&M for portraying what millennial women look like – complex and committed to living life as their most authentic selves.

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor