This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As we enter the real world into a life of adulting, the inevitable three letter word comes to mind…a job! Jobs may come and go but we always remember the lessons of our first job. Here is everything you will learn at your first real job.

1. It’s okay to ask questions. 

It’s far easier to ask a question once, and do it right the next time. Your boss will respect you more to ask questions than to mess up. It shows you are paying attention and aren’t afraid to speak up. At first you might be scared to show that you don’t know something, but it will save you time in the future.

2. Hard work gets recognized. 

Trust me, all of you hard work and dedication will pay off. While you think your work is going unnoticed, just focus on doing your job. There is no substitute for quality work. Even if you see others taking shortcuts, who cares? If you follow directions, and do things right the first time, you will thank yourself later.

3. Your appearance is influential. 

In any job, the way we dress matters. Always dress for the job you want. Of course I am not referring to the value and price of your clothes, but the effect that dressing appropriately has. There is a difference between wearing sweatpants versus dress pants. The way you dress affects people’s perception of you. Professional attire eludes confidence, dedication, and composure. It’s better to be overdressed than underdressed.

4. Your attitude is everything.

Everyone has their off days, but what I find is that your job is a whole lot easier if you show up with a positive outlook and ready to start a brand new day. You are going to be working for a big part of your life. You can either spend your time being miserable or actually try to make the best of it.

5. The value of money. 

Surprisingly, money doesn’t grow on trees.I know right! I was shocked too. You quickly learn the value of money when you are spending your own paycheck at the end of each week. You’ll see that money is not easily achieved. You must work hard for your money and determine the value of the things you buy. What do you want versus what do you actually need? Regardless, the feeling of getting your paycheck is inexpressible.

6. Teamwork. 

Every job requires you to collaborate and work together to get things done. We may have our own individual roles, but at the end of the day we all have a common goal we are working to achieve. Part of working together is helping your co-workers even if you don’t have to. You learn to communicate with others and solve problems together instead of individually. You realize that you will not always get what you want and the faster you learn to adapt to new situations the better.

Working at a new job can be difficult at first, but eventually, we become pros. Your very first job is an experience you will never forget and will learn some of your most important life lessons. If all else fails…coffee helps.​

All gifs courtesy of Giphy

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor