This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Let’s be honest, we all have those days when we feel like we don’t even know who we are without the company of others. But it is so easy to find your inner self, and it can be therapeutic at the same time; so, let’s jump right in! 

I have always loved to write, and if you are anything like me, you’ve also never thought about how writing can be used to help yourself, instead of just for that assignment that you have to cram in last minute. Amazon has the best journals for the best prices. There is such variety when it comes to journals, such as ones with prompts, ones with passcodes, and even some with locks to help keep your deepest, darkest secrets hidden from reality. Journaling can not only be fun, but it will make you feel so much better about yourself when you relieve whatever is on your mind onto a piece of paper. Sometimes, you get lost in the writing and look back at what you wrote and think to yourself, “Wow, that’s really how I felt?”. Make it a routine! Start every day with a journal session, and it will set you up not only to have a productive day, but a clear-headed start to your day as well!

I know doing things on your own may sound scary, but that’s the best way to figure out your likes and dislikes. Being surrounded by others 24/7 doesn’t leave room for self-reflection or self-opinion. So, take yourself to that restaurant that you have been dying to try! At the end of the day, you only have yourself, and using that spare time you have to focus on yourself—whether it is once a week or once a month—can make all the difference. Some great solo activities include: going to a museum, joining a class (e.g. boxing), going to the gym, or even going to the city to take in a whole new world that may seem different, yet be so calming.

Finding what you are truly passionate about is extremely important not only for life in general, but on a personal level as well. The sooner you come to find what it is that makes you happy, and what makes you feel important, the better it will help you navigate the pathway of your life. Sometimes, it’s the little things that you have a passion for that will completely change the way you look at life, and the way you approach it. Whether that passion is helping others, art, or even cooking—find those things that make you, you. Now, I’m not saying that finding what you’re passionate about is easy—because it is far from that—but, taking the time out to look for those things will help you realize what makes you feel fulfilled, and what doesn’t.

Welcome! My name is Jasmine Cruz and I am a junior at Stony Brook. I am a Political Science major with the intent to go to law school after. I love to write and make others feel empowered as well as feeling all sorts of emotions with my writing. Thanks for reading !
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.