What My Job Search Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Let’s be honest: college is stressful. We do our best to go to every class, procrastinate as little as possible, and keep our grades up. But another HUGE part of college life is preparing ourselves for what we will face once we graduate. There’s a plethora of different options: grad school, going right into the workforce, taking a gap year etc. During college, we’re told to fill our resumes, gain experience and make important connections which will make us desirable candidates for future employers. But that process isn’t always so easy. So, whether you’re looking for something to beef up your resume or just looking to earn some extra cash, here’s some useful things I learned during my job and internship search.

During the Search

Take advantage of the perks Stony Brook gives you. As SBU students, we are given lots of opportunities, whether it be in the form of job fairs or on campus employment. Handshake is a free database that lists upcoming events, available jobs and internships and your searches can be customized to meet your preferences.

Resume and Cover letters are FAR BEYOND important. After you’ve found a job you want to apply to, you’ll most likely be asked to submit a cover letter and resume. Keep your resume up to date and make sure you always have a digital copy saved to your computer. If you never written a resume or are unsure whether your resume is properly formatted, sample resumes based on occupation (found on the Career Center Website) can be found here. The Career Center also has resume review hours and has various tips for cover letter writing that can be found here.

After You’ve Landed an Interview

Research! Find out as much as possible about the organization you’re looking to work for. What do they do? What is their mission statement? What do they look for in employees? If you can, find out who you will be interviewing with and research them as well. The more you know, the more prepared you’ll be. Nothing is worse then going into a job interview clueless. It will also show your interview that you are dedicated and that you sacrificed your time to do extra research.  

Appearance Matters. I’m usually all for dressing how you want to, but when it comes to interviewing you have to look as professional as possible. Comb your hair, take a shower, and dress to impress. If you’re going to be applying for a lot of jobs at once, it might be helpful to set aside an interview wardrobe so you won’t find yourself on the day of your interview stuck in jeans and t-shirt while everyone else is in dresses.  

Every Interview is Different. Try to find out what kind of interview you’re going for. Are you going to be interviewed by one person or by a group? Are you going to be interviewed as an individual or with several other applicants? The number of people in the room changes the dynamic and will determine how often you’ll have to speak.    During the Interview

BE ON TIME!

Be Polite. Manners matter. Be polite and cordial to every member of the staff you interact with.

Know Yourself. Knowing about the positions, the interviewer, and the organization is important, but most of the questions are going to be about you. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Know what makes you unique. Be honest and believe in yourself.

And Just Remember…

Extracurriculars DO Matter. A ton of emphasis is based on professional experience, but the things you do outside of work matter too. Volunteer, join a club or attend a workshop. These things can help bump up your resume and give you experience you couldn’t get in a 9 to 5 job.

Ask Questions. Most interviewers will ask if you have any questions and having them shows interest and diligence. Prepare a few questions beforehand or ask about something that came up during the interview that confused you.

Be Grateful. After your interview has concluded, be sure to send your interviewer a thank you email for giving you their time. It shows you’re appreciative.   

Good luck out there in the real world, Seawolves. 

Proud Long Island Native. Psychology major and Writing minor. Passionate about writing, helping others, promoting positivity and telling stories that make a difference.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor