What It Means to Put Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Are you tired of spreading yourself too thin trying to satisfy everybody, that you don’t even take care of yourself? It’s time to be selfish and not in an arrogant way, but in a healthy way.

Listen to Yourself

It’s time for you to learn that it’s not wrong of you to take care of your own antics before dealing with anybody else’s. At this point in our lives, we’re almost done being teens and we’ve escaped most of the drama that comes with the overflow of teenage hormones. You don’t have to get yourself tangled in other people’s issues and you also don’t have to give your input. When somebody comes to you looking for you to talk smack, you don’t have to get sucked into it and you don’t need to go along with it or pick sides.

You’re allowed to be hands off and you’re allowed to concentrate on more important things that are worth your time and efforts. You’re allowed to cut people out of your life that only surround you with drama, drama, and oh, even more drama. But don’t get me wrong, everybody has a guilty pleasure in hearing a juicy story when it doesn’t involve you. I’m just saying to not deal with toxic drama. You know the difference. It’s totally normal to sit back and sip the tea in silence like:​

Build Your Image

It’s also time to concentrate on figuring out your image since we’re all pretty much a big mess at this age. This age is meant for molding yourself into the person you want to be whether you express that in your style, your attitude, or your favorite music. Now you can start dressing the way you want to and start blasting the music you want to. Start a trend! Shave your head! I’m being ~drama~, but you get the idea. Do the things you were on the fence about. Even if it’s not something you continue to be about, it’s something you tried and it’s only gonna lead you to where and who you want to be.

Say No, Just ‘Cause

Do you always feel like you’re doing things and agreeing to things because you feel obligated to, or even slightly pressured to? If you used to tolerate the B.S., you’re allowed to start saying no. No more of that baby stuff where you’re walking on eggshells just to satisfy somebody else. If you want to do something, you do it. And if you don’t, well guess what? You don’t have to. Simple as that. You can say no and you do not owe anybody an explanation or an apology. Don’t ever feel guilty for standing your ground or speaking up for what you want. Do you boo, do you.

Praise Yourself

I know this seems like a weird one but bear with me. Do you ever realize you’re always praising the people around you, but never give yourself enough credit? Empowering yourself is just as important as empowering others. Learn to appreciate every experience you’ve had and realize that your endeavors are impressive, just as much as others. Learn when it’s time to be proud of yourself and allow yourself to accept compliments and to compliment yourself as well. As it’s awesome to gas other people up, don’t forget to gas yourself up! Speak to yourself the way you speak to the people you hype up. Speak on yourself more positively because you deserve it. There’s no reason to shame yourself. You’re the sh*t. Now act like it.​

At the end of the day, you should matter to yourself just as much as others, if not more. Always take care of yourself because your body is a temple and you are valuable. Don’t let anybody rain on your parade. Here’s to self-love!

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Hailey Greif

Stony Brook '20

Hailey is a junior studying at Stony Brook University to receive her bachelors degree in Psychology with a concentration in Marketing. She is hoping to move onto grad school to receive her doctorate in I-O Psychology. Fingers crossed for this gal. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor