alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Catch Next at Staller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

As Seawolves, we’re pretty blessed to have the Staller Center on our campus. It’s been the site where great performances have been put on before- and this semester is no different. Almost everything on the calendar is a must-see, and with movies, musical guests and ballets scheduled for the next couple of months, there’s something for everyone. So read on to find your next distraction from studying and homework, because trust me, you won’t regret it.

If you like classical music, consider yourself lucky! There are many orchestral performances scheduled for November and December. The Baroque Ensemble also has a concert on November 19, and the Symphony Orchestra is playing on December 9. For classic with a twist, the Sons of Serendipity are playing on November 18. You might recognize them from “America’s Got Talent”, where they performed both classical and pop songs on the harp, violin, piano, and cello. And for a more upscale event, consider checking out Staller Center’s Starry Nights on November 21, where musicians from all over the world will come to Stony Brook and put on a magical night of performances.

If you like prefer movies over live performances, check out Battle of the Sexes, starring Emma Stone and Steve Carell on December 8. It’s got a bit of everything: a high-stakes tennis match, some amazing feminist themes, and of course the undeniable amazing acting by Emma Stone.

If dramas are more your speed, consider watching Lady Macbeth on December 1. Although it’s not the story of Lady Macbeth from Shakespeare’s play, but the main character is just as ruthless. Set in England in the 1800s, it’s definitely a thrilling drama sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

If you love historical dramas, be sure to check out The Journey, which is about the Irish politicians Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness and the car ride that “will change the course of history forever”. The Journey will be shown on November 17.

If you want to watch a mystery, make sure to either see Jasper Jones or Wind River. Jasper Jones, which will be shown on November 17, is about a mystery set in 1960s Australia against the backdrop of racism and a dangerous secret. Wind River follows an FBI agent investigating the death of a woman on a Native American reservation and stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. It will be shown on December 8.

Over the next couple of months, the Staller Center will be showing various movies and showcasing amazing live performances, so be sure to check out at least one! For more information, check out the Staller Center’s calendar here.

The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.