This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Helping people has always been a priority of mine, so much so that I have occasionally offered unsolicited advice and have tried to help someone who doesn’t want my help. However, there is one situation in which I know my help will always be wanted and needed, and that is when I am volunteering.

I started volunteering with my dad at an animal shelter when I was a child because he thought it would be an effective way to appease my incessant begging for a dog. I ended up working with cats instead of dogs, but I still loved every minute of it.

My most recent volunteering experience was with The ALS Association for the 2020 Walk to Defeat ALS. I am Team Captain of a fundraising team for the organization, and I raised a good amount of money to help fund the search for a cure for ALS. I do this work in honor of a dear friend of mine whom I lost to this disease. I fundraise so that maybe someday soon, no one will have to suffer from the disease like my friend did.

be kind
Photo by Vie Studio from Pexels

Before social distancing, the Walk to Defeat ALS was held in a public location with thousands and thousands of participants and volunteers. Despite ALS being such a cruel disease that causes so much pain, the walks are a joyous occasion: a celebration of hope for the future. They bring those who are suffering, or have suffered, at the hands of ALS together in one place to remind everyone that there is still hope that one day, no one else will have to suffer from ALS. 

This year’s Walk to Defeat ALS was different though, as to accommodate for social distancing measures, there was no public gathering for the walk. It was an entirely remote event. It began with a brief pre-recorded opening ceremony that was streamed through Facebook Live. Then, the fundraising teams were left to participate in their own walks however they pleased. I had no fundraising team to walk with this year, as no one was able to participate because of the virus. 

After being inspired by the opening ceremony, I went for a 5K run by myself instead of a walk. However, I felt closely connected to the community, as I kept those who have been affected by ALS in my mind and heart, as I do every day. Though I could not be in person with my fundraising team for the event, we still had a successful year. We exceeded our fundraising goal and continue to raise awareness for ALS. 

My favorite aspect of fundraising is knowing that people will benefit from my efforts and that my efforts are not in vain. I am making a positive difference in people’s lives for the sake of helping them. I could be doing anything else in the world besides volunteering, but I choose to use my time to be of service to others when I can. 

I am incredibly grateful to be in a place in my life where I can use the little free time I have to help those in need, and I highly recommend volunteering for a cause that one is passionate about to anyone who might be interested. 

Lauren Taglienti is a writer of short stories, essays, articles, novels, and plays whose work has appeared in numerous publications. She is studying English and creative writing at Stony Brook University and interns for bestselling author and filmmaker Adriana Trigiani. Lauren is an open book who thrives when she is vulnerable because that is how she conquers her fears and connects with people. Her passions include health, wellness, self-improvement, being creative, helping others, and spreading the messages of empathy and kindness.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.