This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Currently I’m sitting in my dorm room living room, bitterly typing up this article as I watch friends and influencers on social media recap their amazing weeks spent in Trinidad and Tobago celebrating carnival. I’ve been wanting to go to Trinidad Carnival for the past four years, but I always miss it because of school and the other typical excuses like not having money because I’m broke. 

Trinidad and Tobago Carnival is a celebration before the start of Lent. In fact, the two main days of celebration is the Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, in which people celebrate J’Ouvert by parading down the streets in colorful, feather costumes. Of course, there is a meaning behind this grand celebration, which is to celebrate the freedom from colonialism, enslavement, and servitude as per the island-nation’s history. This big, inclusive party is on my bucket list, let me tell you why! 

1. The Fete

J\'ouvert, Trinidad and Tobago Carnival, woman dancing
Unsplash
This is essentially the reason why anyone would want to go to Trinidad and Tobago’s annual carnival. It’s just a big party to celebrate, and it’s usually outside. That means you don’t have to worry about the clean up (not saying you should never pick up after after yourself), and go buck wild celebrating. Lent is around the corner anyways, you might as well just live it up. 

2. The People

Like any other kind of cultural celebration, the people are the heart of the movement/practice. You get to meet people from all backgrounds attend the carnival, but for the most part, it would be islanders themselves. Take it from someone who grew up around Caribbean people all their life, they’re an exciting people. Always vibrant and full of life, truly they’re the life of the party! 

3. The Food

Chick Peas
Christin Urso / Spoon

Another part of the cultural experience comes in the form of food, and honestly, who doesn’t like food? Imagine going to Trinidad and Tobago and not experiencing all the dishes they have to offer? Doubles, roti, curry chicken, pholourie?! Never! 

4. The Music

Euphoria Zendaya Dancing
Giphy
Originally carnival is said to play calypso music for the most part, but in recent years soca has been added to it. The fast beats and rhythmic music is hard not to dance and sing along to! Not to mention seeing people in their colorful costumes dancing to the music, a sight to behold! 

5. The Location

study abroad spain barcelona palm trees beach summer sunny tropical
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Lastly, all I have to say is it’s cold here in New York! Since Carnival usually takes place in February, it would be a refreshing, tropical getaway from the bitter cold here in Northern United States! Who wouldn’t want to spend their time in the tropics anyway? 

In conclusion, I’m jealous of everyone who went to Trinidad and Tobago Carnival! I can’t wait until I get to finally go, which I definitely have to start planning for.

Graceann Bhagat

Stony Brook '20

Name: Graceann Bhagat  Year: Senior  Major: Double Major in Biology (Neuroscience) and History (European History)  I write about the mediocre things in life that don't matter but do.   
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.