This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

If you have been on TikTok in the past month, you may have noticed a heated debate by millennials about gen z “cancelling” middle parts and skinny jeans. While I am a member of gen z and still very much in support of wearing skinny jeans, its undoubtedly obvious how much straight leg, mom jeans and flared styles are being favorited this season. With fashion focusing on a mix of nineties styles and adding a sixties and seventies retro flair, it is easy to understand why these styles are making such a comeback. Below are a few styles that can help if you are trying to be TikTok chic. Don’t worry though, you can still rock your skinnies- wear whatever you love! 

The Zara Wide Leg Full Length Ripped jean is super popular with TikTok fashion right now. The pair is around fifty dollars and comes in five different shades of denim, each one with a different variety of distressing. They are longer than a standard pair of jeans, perfect for a look where only the toes of your shoes peek out. Pair them with an oversized sweater for a perfect slouchy look. 

The Levi’s Ribcage jean is also super popular right now. With a super straight leg and the classic Levi’s back pocket, these jeans promise a super flattering silhouette. They are around $100 and you can find them at Revolve. They feature a button fly and the leg actually narrows by two inches from the knee to the ankle. These are the perfect jeans to wear with a simple corset to make you look like you belong in all the most aesthetic fashion videos. 

The American Eagle Super High Waisted Flare jean is the perfect pair with just a bit of flare toward the ankle. They are around $60 and come in three shades, dark wash, medium and light wash, which both feature some distressing. They have enough of a flare to have the perfect vibe, without making you look like a full blown flower child. Unless being a flower child is your deal, then yes girl! These are just screaming to be paired with a simple crop top when the weather gets warmer. 

The Princess Polly Cofield Mom jean is the cutest pair of patchwork jeans. They are a simple mom jeans style and feature multiple shades of denim, in addition to also coming in the same style with black denim. They are $70 and are high rise and 100% cotton. These will definitely make you look like you belong on fashion TikTok. Keep your top simple to bring all the focus to your jeans. 

The Colorful Natalie Emery High Rise jeans is just magnificent. They are slouchy and heavily distressed but also feature a star design on the butt for a bit of added uniqueness. They are super light wash and are asymmetrically distressed. These come in at about $65. They pair perfectly with the super popular Yin and Yang aesthetic on TikTok or an edgy patchwork top. 

No matter what jeans you wear, what’s important is that you wear them with confidence and a smile. Remember, trends are never as important as being true to yourself. You don’t always need to follow trends to have amazing style.

As always tag us in all your favorite jeans and outfits @hercampusfashion and @hcstonybrook.

Julia is a national writer for Her Campus. While she writes for all verticals, her focus is the wellness section, bringing you everything you need to know about relationships, astrology, and the best ways to get down and dirty. Julia is a recent grad of Stony Brook University, where she studied journalism with a minor in women's studies. During her time at SBU, she was a VS PINK campus rep, and an active member of Her Campus @ SBU. When she isn't writing, you can find Julia reading a smutty romance novel, hitting up her local crystal shop, or thrifting with an iced oat milk latte in hand. She's a Capricorn (but you probably already knew that) and a practicing yogi.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.