This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Being a commuter can be tough. It definitely has its ups and downs. At times, I find myself wishing I lived on campus so I could get an extra half hour of sleep in the morning. Other times, I feel truly blessed that I have my own room and don’t have to share it with anyone. If you are a commuter at Stony Brook, I bet you can relate to my daily thoughts of being a commuter.

1. When you forget to bring lunch and have to pay $134.99 for a mediocre slice of pizza

2. Trying to find a spot in the library to study between breaks (technically, this applies to all students but it’s even worse when you don’t have a dorm to go back to)

3. Class at 10am means having to leave your house at 9am, which really means getting up at 8am

4. Skipping out on events on the weekend because that means driving back to campus (no thanks)

5. Having a car which means you can go anywhere you want

6. That drive home after class after a long day 

7. Unless you have to take the train

8. Coming home to your own bed and own shower

9. Getting to school and finding out class was cancelled

10. Trying to find parking at South P after 12

11. Literally any express bus from South P (good luck if you have to stand)

12. Or how it feels when the bus pulls away the second you just get to the stop

13. But, getting to come home to food cooked by you mom, makes it all worth it 

The commuter life ain’t easy, but you get used to it after a while. Now, I couldn’t imagine myself being a college student any other way. The thing I learned about being a commuter is that if you want to have a memorable college experience, you have to make yourself a part of it and involve yourself. What you give is what you get!

Pics courtesy of media.giphy.com

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.