body images 2019 07 29 friends pottery barn2028129jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 07 29 friends pottery barn2028129jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Thanksgiving Inspired Episodes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Erin Stark 

Year: Senior

Major: English

Hometown: Bellmore

How did you get involved with Her Campus?: 

I got involved with her campus after seeking writing opportunities available at our school. When I found Her Campus I knew that I wanted to be part of the team and create compelling stories for my campus community to read and enjoy. I love to write and Her Campus allows me to express my voice and reach a larger audience than my usual works. I am excited to be on this journey and writing blogs that overall make a difference while engaging in a fun activity!

Cluck on the Television and Gobble Up the Best Thanksgiving Inspired Episodes

It’s almost Thanksgiving time (personally my favorite holiday of the year)! This November, get cozy on the couch and avoid the cold weather by enjoying some of Television’s greatest Thanksgiving-Esque episodes from well recognized and loved series. These fun holiday-themed episodes will have you thinking about all the delicious food and treats to stuff your belly with while reminding its audience about the importance of togetherness during this time. 

Below I have listed nine Thanksgiving-themed episodes that will be the tur-Key to a great holiday season! We all love to watch our favorite television characters indulge in the holiday spirit, and Thanksgiving is one of the funniest holidays to watch family and friends come together on. 

1. New GirlThanksgiving III (Season 3, Episode 10)

This group of friends never steers away from celebrating a good thanksgiving dinner. In one of the best Thanksgiving-themed episodes from the series, Thanksgiving is brought outside the loft, having the roommates get close with nature like the Pilgrims and Native Americans were. Because Nick feels he has become soft since he started his relationship with Jess, he makes the gang hunt for their meal. An obvious failure in traditions happens, leaving the audience laughing at the rivalry between roommates and hilarious unfortunate occurrences.

2. This Is Us Pilgrim Rick (Season 1, Episode 3 )

Beloved father Jack saves the day in this Thanksgiving episode; Transforming from past to present, we see the Big Three as children spending their thanksgiving in a motel room, brainstorming the amazing Thanksgiving traditions they still uphold in the present; in the present, although some have been lost, so much has been gained and an enormous amount of family love still remains. This episode pulls on audience heartstrings, so grab some tissues! It is a beautiful reminder of the wonderful possibilities of Thanksgiving when it comes to family togetherness and upholding traditions, passing it down to the next generation.

3. Friends The One With the Football (Season 3, Episode 9)

The gang gets together to celebrate Thanksgiving together. When sibling rivalry between Monica and Ross resurfaces and it postpones Thanksgiving dinner and a game of “touch” football emerges. This episode is packed with hilarious banter with an even funnier plot

4. Family GuyTurkey Guys (Season 13, Episode 5)

On the night before Thanksgiving, Peter and Brian get a little too drunk and end up eating the entire Thanksgiving turkey. Angry wife Louis informs them they have to get a new one on Thanksgiving Day (a near-impossible task). With Peter and Brian gone, Stewie tries to help Chris take over as the man of the house. This episode will keep you laughing with a touch of dark humor, ending with a nice family dinner.

5. How I Met Your MotherBelly Full of Turkey (Season 1, Episode 9)

Lily travels to Minnesota to spend Thanksgiving with Marshall’s family but tensions build up when Lily thinks she might be pregnant. Stresses are high for the couple, where the other side of the gang spends the holiday volunteering, and even find themselves in a strip club, leading Ted to meet a stripper named Terry…and that is how he met their mother…kidding.

6. Modern FamilyPunkin Chunkin (Season 3, Episode 9)

In a battle of Dreamers versus the Realists, the family butt heads on past stories and aspiring dreams. Celebrating their holiday together, each main couple has a feud about feeling their spouse is belittling their dreams or stories, and it plays out into shooting pumpkins over a football field, a Superbowl of family drama one could say. But, this episode will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling that will make you incredibly thankful for your loved ones around you

7. That 70s ShowThanksgiving (Season 1, Episode 9)

Laurie brings a friend home for Thanksgiving; she is beautiful and leads to a kiss between Eric and the friend. Filled with guilt, Eric tells Donna who becomes extremely angry. Meanwhile, Bob offers Red a job, which he declines because he doesn’t want to be offered a job out of pity. When the family finally sits down to Thanksgiving dinner, they realize that no one remembered to pick up Grandma. Many laughs and drama-filled incidents are illuminated through the episode but are closed with a happy ending for all.

8. SeinfeldThe Mom and Pop Store (Season 6, Episode 8)

That awkward am I or am I not invited leaves Jerry trying to solve the mystery if he has received an invitation to an annual Pre-Thanksgiving party. Meanwhile, during the episode George buys a convertible, Kramer tries to save a small shoe-repair business, and Elaine answers a radio quiz. The chaos is all put together in a fun way that glorifies the holiday and the people that are all part of it.

9. The Office – WUPHF.com (Season 7, Episode 9)

This untraditional Thanksgiving-themed episode still deserves some recognition for its comical tone set during Thanksgiving: an unconventional spent holiday with coworkers, Ryan tries to convince his coworkers to invest in his Internet company, while Dwight turns the parking lot of Dunder Mifflin into a hay bale festival. The office’s infamous humor is a great show to giggle at whilst enjoying the holiday season, even if it isn’t completely revolved around Thanksgiving. 

Erin Stark

Stony Brook '21

Hello! My name is Erin Stark. I am a senior at Stony Brook University. I am studying as an English major along with a film and screen studies minor. I am a member of Sigma Delta Tau sorority at Stony Brook. Some of my favorite things to do in my spare time are watch movies, write stories, hang with friends, drink iced coffee, and shop!