burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

The Stress of Decorating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I don’t want to complain, but I’m going to complain. Have you ever had this amazing, I’m talking about bomb idea of how you’d decorate your dorm room, or office setting, closet, etc? However, just when you think you’ve placed the right kind of décor in one space, it just looks awkward when you look at it from another point of view. This is what I’m talking about! Decorating is so time consuming and annoying, especially when you have a certain vision in your head that can’t seem to be fulfilled. Let me tell you, the stress of decorating is one of the worst first world problems I have ever come across. The stress of decorating is no joke. I expect one thing to work with the theme I am working with, and here I am putting together a bunch of things that don’t even make sense. But before we can even get to the stress of actually decorating, coming up with a vision in mind and executing it is so challenging to the mentally lazy people in this world like me. You would think that thinking of a way you’d want your room would be easy, but being a person of many conflicting thoughts and reputation of indecisiveness, you can see where I’d have trouble choosing whether I want the theme of my dorm room as “cloudy day” or “starry night”. 

Another part of the decorating process that I can’t stand is actually going out to go get the things you need because it can go either one of two ways: not finding anything at all, or spending 3 hours in Target buying and looking at absolutely all the things you don’t need. I always tend to do the latter, which runs my pockets dry. Also, you’d think in this part of the plan you’d be able to breeze through because it’s just shopping, but there are roadblocks that might arise such as overly expensive items, items not being in stock, etc. But at least it’s all for the sake of decoration, because where would anyone be comfortable in a room that lacks luster? 

Lastly, the execution part of decorating. The part that really is everything you need to do to complete the task. This is where the challenge in decorating comes from, specifically because who really has the time to be doing all this when they’re not procrastinating?! Not only do you need to find the time to do it from a busy schedule but doing it by yourself is such a hassle! Have you ever seen a short girl try to hang up a tapestry unevenly because she couldn’t reach high enough? Yeah that’s me, every semester… Even when you’re decorating itself, and you think you’re done, there’s always something you missed or placed incorrectly. It’s so irritating. 

Decorating may be a hassle, especially if you’re a lazy person like me. It may be challenging, because of expenses, and restrictions but if anything, I’d say it’s definitely worth it. Looking at my dorm room right now, I can say I’m very happy with the way my decorations turned out. It never feels dull in my room, it has some of my sparkle! 

Graceann Bhagat

Stony Brook '20

Name: Graceann Bhagat  Year: Senior  Major: Double Major in Biology (Neuroscience) and History (European History)  I write about the mediocre things in life that don't matter but do.   
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.