This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Bright and early November 29th, gifts were delivered to phones and laptops across the globe. It wasn’t makeup or clothes, it was Spotify Wrapped 2023.

Were you surprised that you spent most of the year listening to Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) and 1989 (Taylor’s Version)? Or maybe you got dragged into listening to Karol G’s Mañana Será Bonito but switched over to Nadie Sabe Lo Que Va a Pasar Mañana by Bad Bunny in the fall.

Whomever you spent your time listening to, Spotify Wrapped never missed a single song you could have listened to for a few babysitting gigs to entertain the kids. Yes, I’m talking about Trolls Band Together or The Little Mermaid soundtracks.

Spotify did something quite memorable this year for the wrap up. Based on your music preferences, they would give you a city or a ‘sound town’ that correlated the most to your artists or genres. Before you start getting any ideas, don’t use this as an excuse to move to another city.

Maybe you were more excited to see your listening type and you’re shown to be the cyclops who listens to the same music. Maybe you got the time traveler and you couldn’t stop listening to the same music you grew up with during 8th grade.

With over millions of people around the world contributing to Spotify’s global statistics and everyone’s favorite part- seeing everyone else’s music. Whether you posted the premade graphic on your story or texted your friends, you got to silently judge people during the most thoughtful time of the year.

Spotify also released a newsletter breaking down the global numbers of Spotify Wrapped 2023. As a surprise to no one, the top artist globally was Taylor Swift, followed by Bad Bunny, The Weekend, Drake, and rising artist Peso Pluma. The second half of the list was Feid, Travis Scott, SZA, KAROL G, and Lana Del Ray.

The top five albums of the year were Un Verano Sin Ti by Bad Bunny, Midnights by Taylor Swift, SOS by SZA, Starboy by The Weekend, and Mañana Será Bonito by KAROL G. The bottom half was One Thing At A Time by Morgan Wallen, Lover by Taylor Swift, HEROES & VILLAINS by Metro Boomin, GÉNESIS by Peso Pluma, and Harry’s House by Harry Styles.

The top 10 songs start off with “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus, “Kill Bill” by SZA, “As It Was” by Harry Styles, “Seven (feat. Latto)” by Jung Kook, and “Ella Baila Sola” by Eslabon Armado and Peso Pluma. The second half was “Cruel Summer” by Taylor Swift, “Creepin” by Metro Boomin, The Weekend, and 21 Savage, “Calm Down” by Rema and Selena Gomez, “Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53” by Bizarrap and Shakira, and finally “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift.

If you were a bit disappointed with your results, Spotify starts tracking from January 1st to the end of October. If you’re trying to look mysterious and listen to underground artists, start as soon as possible.

With Spotify Wrapped 2023 behind us, time to focus on the holiday season and the fall semester coming to a close. Good luck with finals, make time to see your friends before you leave for break, and happy holidays.

Melanie Karniewich

Stony Brook '25

Melanie Karniewich is the Vice President of Her Campus Stony Brook and a junior Journalism major with a minor in Film and Screen Studies at Stony Brook University. You can always find her reading rom-com novels, watching mystery movies, and of course writing.