Spotify Playlists for Different Levels of Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

We all have different moods and environments that we study in. Some of us like to listen to white noise, or no noise at all. For me, unless I am watching a lecture video, I feel like I have to listen to some type of music. It helps me to block out all of the surrounding conversations and distractions around me. Depending on if I am doing homework, studying, which subject I am studying, and the mood I am in, I switch up the music I listen to in order to focus. I typically rotate the kind of playlist I listen to based on how intensely I plan on studying. 

Spotify Playlist: Intense Studying

Intensity of Studying: 10/10

The name says it all. I use this playlist for the nights when I need to study Biology or write an important essay under a time crunch. I like instrumentals because that means I can’t get distracted by singing along to a song.

Spotify Playlist: Your Favorite Coffeehouse.

Intensity of Studying: 6 /10

This playlist is a lot less intense. I usually picture myself sitting in Starbucks when I listen to this. The vibe of this playlist is chill, relaxed and mellow. I might listen to this when doing homework that isn’t due for another couple of days, so there’s no rush to finish it.  It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I got a little distracted either.

Spotify Playlist: Study Zone

Intensity of Studying: 4/10

This playlist incorporates a few more pop songs than the others. Personally, I know I wouldn’t be able to listen to this if I really needed to study. I would get too unfocused and want to sing along or dance. However, this playlist is good for easy, light coursework. Maybe you are studying with a group of people. This playlist would be ideal to put on for some light background noise. 

Spotify Playlist:Natural Concentration

Intensity of Studying: 8/10

Sometimes, music just isn’t cutting it. It feels like whatever songs you listen to, it is just not working out. You get distracted, start tapping your foot, and clicking your pen. For those days, I choose to switch to the “Natural Concentration” playlist. It plays sounds of nature, like rainfall, crickets, and the ocean. It keeps me calm and really blocks out the sound of my surroundings which is crucial for me to study effectively.

For me, I feel like music has become a staple in everything that I do. Whether I am studying, working out, browsing the computer, taking a shower, or driving to work, I always have music playing in the background. If you feel like you need to study with music, I definitely recommend these playlists to keep you sane, focused and on track!

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.