This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

“F*ck them skinny bitches.”

I’m sorry what did you say?

“I’m bringing booty back. Go ‘head and tell them skinny bitches that.”

Oh.

Every time I turn on the radio or tune into any form of social media for that matter, it’s like I’m hearing a broken record –skinny bitches go eat sandwiches. Real men like some meat on their woman, only dogs want bones. Real women have curves. 

Why are we even so concerned about defining what is real and what is not and more importantly what gives anyone the right? If a woman is skinny, does that make her a bitch and if she isn’t curvy-licious, does that make her unreal? It’s as if media is suggesting that your figure determines your worth and existence. And as much as I hate to admit it, it does even when it shouldn’t. In our society, we so heavily stress the importance of beauty and perfection, urging us to conform to standards and trends that we forget how important our mental and physical health is. Accepting your body is the biggest part of gaining self-confidence and a healthy mindset. 

Telling someone that they are too skinny and should eat more is the same as telling someone they eat too much and should lose some weight. Yet we don’t consider this because in trying to accept one preference we put down another because we feel as though it’s validation. In doing so, we fail to recognize that there’s a double standard. Skinny women with less curves are often described as little boys, masculine, and practically pathetic. But if these girls were ever to voice their concerns about their image half as much as their curvy counterparts, they would be told things like “You have it easy. How could you possibly be self-conscious?” 

People are ignoring the fact that curves on a woman have always been popular in society and social media. They also neglect the mindset that it is neither healthy nor normal for a girl to be what society deems as too skinny. People automatically assume that they have an eating disorder or that they starve themselves constantly in order to grab other people’s attention, urging them to go eat a cheeseburger or cake as if that’s a healthier (physically and mentally) option. 

When women and young girls hear and see this message everywhere around them they cannot help but to criticize their body even further in order to fit into our societal standards spectrum.

“Real women are fat. And thin. And both, and neither. And otherwise.” –Hanne Blank

Just because a woman is skinny doesn’t mean she’s a skinny bitch or a silicone doll. And she isn’t imaginary, she is real. Maybe instead of shifting our ideals we should abandon them altogether because every woman is real and everyone is beautiful.

Be like Megara:

I see you've stumbled your way onto my page! Well if there's anything you need to know it's that my blog's like a box of chocolates because you never know what you're gonna get. If you like short and sweet, try a piece on fashion and decor. If you prefer the dark side, you can sample a bit of hard hitting world news. And if you like to spice things up, you can taste test some features on comics, games or tv shows.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor