Sigma Psi Zeta: “We’re able to come together and become a powerful force”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Michelle Yaung

Position: President

Year: Senior

Major: Business

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

Name: Serina Li 

Position: Vice President

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

Quick Facts

• Established on March 23, 1994 at The University of Albany
  • 27  chapters nationwide
  • Stony Brook Chapter was established on May 20, 2000 
  • Chapter Motto: “True to our colors red and gold, sisters forever heart and soul.”
  • Sigma Psi Zeta is the first Asian-interest sorority to be established on the East Coast.
  • Main Philanthropy: Stomp Out Domestic Violence

Despite being an Asian-interest sorority, how does Sigma Psi Zeta maintain diversity?

Serina: “For many Asian-interest sororities, I think the common misconception is that we only want girls who are Asian. That is most definitely not the case. Although we are an Asian-interest sorority, we look out for girls from all different backgrounds. We also try to learn about other cultures and work with various Greek organizations and clubs on campus to maintain that diversity.”

Michelle: “Maintaining diversity can be hard because we are known as an Asian-interest sorority, however we make it clear that we are not exclusive to just Asians. We try to collaborate with organizations outside of our council as well as to attend many different cultural events.”

What do you look for in your fellow sisters?

Serina: “We look for girls who will just be themselves around us. I think the common misconception is that sororities only want pretty girls or girls who have certain characteristics but it is quite the opposite. One of the characteristics I love about my chapter is our individually. We’re all very different and have our own quirks, but despite that, we’re able to come together and become a powerful force. We want any potential new members to see that and feel comfortable to be themselves because we’re all so open with each other.”

Michelle: “This is also probably the thing that I love the most about our sorority because we all somehow click with each other even though we all have very different personalities. We look for those that have the motivation and dedication that we all have to make a difference in the community. I couldn’t put it better myself than what Serina has already said, because we hope that everyone is comfortable to be themselves and that we aren’t here to judge at all.”

How has being a part of Sigma Psi Zeta affected you personally?

Serina Li: “As cheesy as this sounds, I came into college thinking I would not join a sorority. I never saw myself as a sorority girl and yet here I am. Being in a sorority has made a huge impact in my college career. I’ve been blessed with a support system I can always depend on and a family away from home. Part of the reason I joined Sigma Psi Zeta was because I personally relate to our national philanthropy and being in the organization has given me an outlet to do my part and make a difference.”

Michelle: “Being part of my sorority has been such a big part of my college career. Ever since I joined I have become a more confident and outgoing person. The support system that I came into accepted me without question and pushed me to surpass my limits. It allows me to be a part of something bigger than myself by hosting events to spread awareness about our philanthropy, combatting violence against women, and volunteering for community service events.”

How do you fight the negative stigma of Greek life especially when it’s heavily associated with hazing and an exclusive mentality?

Serina: “The way we fight the negative stigma is by raising awareness and educating. Many people come into college with stories about hazing or what Greek life is about and are ignorant to what is the truth, myself including. My chapter host events like ‘These Hands Don’t Haze’ where we debunk a lot of hazing stories and myths many people typically associate Greek Life with.”

Michelle: “As mentioned, we host workshops and spread awareness on social media about anti-hazing and breaking the stigmas of Greek life. We try our best to not fall into the stigmas that are held against Greek life as well as bring light into the negative stigmas.”

How do you feel like your organization has contributed to Stony Brook’s Greek life?

Serina: “Since the Greek Life community at Stony Brook is small, I think it’s important for Greek organizations to make their mark on the campus and the community.  As a chapter, our main philanthropy event is Stomp Out Domestic Violence. Through this event, we bring together the community to spread awareness on domestic violence by hosting a showcase to display the many talents of this campus. I believe this event has helped up make an impact to Stony Brook’s Greek life.”

Michelle: “I feel like we have contributed to Stony Brook’s Greek life by supporting the many other Greek organizations on campus as well as holding our own events to help bring the community together. I think one of the most important thing about Greek life to bring the organizations together because together we can make an even bigger impact on the community.”

Check out more information about Sigma Psi Zeta out here!

Meet the sisters at their upcoming Tea Ceremony Workshop on November 8th in SAC 305!

Sonisha Sanju

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor