This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped, went upside from down.

And I’d like to take a minute, don’t you dare go,

I’ll tell you how I starred leading lady of a show.

If I told you that I was that theatre kid, chances are you’d roll your eyes. Great, you’re dealing with yet again another obnoxious, walking-talking (and probably singing) Broadway freak. WAIT. Don’t go running just yet because though you might not be into the whole jazz hands, glitz or glam, you may find theatre well worth your while.  You know that movie magic moment in High School Musical where they break out into song out of nowhere? You can do that here. Break the status quo.

Picture the nerdiest, most awkward quiet kid who needed to give people her homework to make “friends.” She stumbles her way into the auditorium where they tell her that she can hide behind the scenes and paint sets. To her dismay, they force everyone to auditions anyway and she’s stuck standing there trembling before rows of people. She croaks out a Paramore song and somehow, by some miracle gets a call-back.

No, she isn’t Gabriella Montez and no she doesn’t become the lead. At least not that year anyway. She becomes addicted to performing and before you know it, she’s done every show the school has to offer and made friends with people from every cafeteria table in Mean Girls –yes even the Plastics because turns out they can sing more than just Jingle Bell Rock.

Theatre is life changing. Shedding yourself and transforming into a character is one of the most liberating moments of a theatre kid’s life. For a moment you can forget about the stress of your web-assigns or your 9 to 5 and simply enjoy and express yourself. And expression comes in all forms, be it through painting, crafting, acting, dancing, or singing. What’s more, you are guaranteed to meet enthusiastic and passionate people who will share your interests because in theatre there is a place for everyone –for every cheerleader, jock, nerd or stoner. You spend almost every day with people who were once complete strangers, working laboriously through blood, sweat and tears to finish sets, practice dances and run scenes. An awful day can do a complete 180 at practice, where you share your cries and your laughter with people that you come to love –people who become your family.

There is nothing like that moment where everyone is all huddled up and holding hands, feeling that sense of rush right before the curtains open.

So we can be a bit, well… dramatic, but hey that’s kind of what we do. We’re show people.

If I have piqued your interest in any way, check out our very own Stony Brook Pocket Theatre Facebook Page!

Go see Madama Butterfly the Musical April 8-10!

I see you've stumbled your way onto my page! Well if there's anything you need to know it's that my blog's like a box of chocolates because you never know what you're gonna get. If you like short and sweet, try a piece on fashion and decor. If you prefer the dark side, you can sample a bit of hard hitting world news. And if you like to spice things up, you can taste test some features on comics, games or tv shows.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor