This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It seems as if students and teens are reading less and less nowadays. Reading has always been something I enjoy and find myself emerged into the character’s lives. With Netflix and reality T.V.  to entertain us during our very rare, spare time, it’s no wonder people choose television over reading. We have shows like Grey’s Anatomy, and How to Get Away with Murder to provide us with the biggest, most dramatic plot twists and cliffhangers. It’s instant entertainment! Of course students are reading less. Books are lengthy and require patience for suspense to build. Still, reading is so satisfying, I could never give it up. Here are some of my recent reads worth investing your time in.

1. Every Day

This book is a love story… but not your usual love story. This is a story about a person who wakes up in a different body each day. I really enjoyed this book. It’s definitely different.

2. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I am bias to by far one of my favorite authors. After reading his Kite Runner, I was instantly drawn to Hosseini’s writing style and his story lines that shine light on ignorance and global issues that are happening in today’s age.  

3. Not that kind of girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She’s Learned by Lena Dunham

I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I started this book.  Personally, I’m not a fan of memoirs but I was instantly drawn into this book. Instantly. As a young woman, this book is relatable, humorous and easy to read. Many of her experiences are easy to relate to and certainly unique. The tone of the book is informal and it feels like you are having a conversation with Lena herself.  I actually wish I had read this book slower. It’s definitely a great book to read in your spare moments (which are rare)!

4. The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez

If you were the incoming class of 2020, you were required to read this book to discuss it as class during a seminar with the author. If I had never been “forced” to read this book, I would have never realized that it’s one of my favorite books. This book incorporates important themes such as immigration, poverty, disability,and love.

If you haven’t read these, what are you waiting for? Get back into reading and fall in love with a new character. When was the last time you read for pure enjoyment? The eagerness to flip to the next page? The excruciating cliffhangers at the end of each chapter, pulling you into the next chapter even though it’s 1am in the morning and you should be sleeping. Whatever genre you enjoy, read read read! Read for fun,  read to escape, and read to learn!

*Photos courtesy of BarnesandNoble.com *

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.