This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Things are stressful, school is stressful, life is stressful. Sometimes, we just need to get away from it all, and watching a good movie or TV show can help do that. These seven movies/shows that I am going to suggest are ones that I think are great ways to escape your world and laugh a bit, or even a lot! Why seven, you may ask? Well, some consider seven to be a lucky number or perhaps I just got distracted watching Disney+ and only had time to write up seven things. Either way, I think you will LOVE this list of things to watch!

1) Lizzie Mcguire – Eat your heart out Hannah Montanna and move over Sharpay–Lizzie was here first! Hilary Duff AKA Lizzie is the original Disney star. She acted, sang her own theme song, and even had a major motion-picture! She probably inspired an entire generation of journalists, as she did have some episodes that were about journalism, as well as one when she meets her celebrity crush. She went through the same things we all did: having a frenemy, getting your first bra, etc. It is a great way to reminisce and have a good laugh at the same time!

2) The Lizzie Mcguire Movie – In this movie, Lizzie goes to Italy and has an adventure that many of us can only dream about. She reconciles with her frenemy, falls for a gorgeous Italian guy and she just so happens to look exactly like a famous Italian pop star! She sings, acts and dances–a real triple threat!

3) The Halloween Town Quartet – …Or trilogy if you’re like me and pretend that the last movie, in which Marnie gets replaced, wasn’t part of the series. These movies are absolute classics. So much so, in fact, that the town where at least the first movie was shot (I was unable to find out with 100% certainty whether the other four movies were shot in the same place) has a convention/celebration in October, every year, to commemorate the movies and light the big pumpkin! (Watch the movies and then you’ll get it.) It has tons of laughs and is very light-hearted. It is especially great to take your mind off of any stress as you watch Marnie solve her issues and remind you that you can get through it, whatever “it” may be. It certainly has its moments when it’s a bit too silly, but that’s Disney for you! 

4) Thor: Ragnarok – This is probably one of the funniest and lighthearted movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. FYI, my suggestion has nothing to do with how gorgeous or funny or charming Chris Hemsworth is. The movie delivers unexpected comedy in almost every scene. A lot of the movie was unscripted and the director himself even plays the role of a secondary character in the movie.

The hysterical Jeff Goldblum is a secondary character in the movie, as well. Here’s a bit of a fun fact about the movie: At about 10 minutes in, while in Asgard, there is a play going on about the movie prior to Ragnarok, Thor: The Dark World, and the actor playing Thor in this play is actually Chris Hemsworth’s older brother, Luke Hemsworth! Funnily enough, even Loki is portrayed by Matt Damon in this scene. Both actors remain uncredited, but one can clearly see that it’s Matt Damon, and many outlets have confirmed that it was Luke Hemsworth who played Thor in this funny scene. 

Lastly, you should do yourself a favor and definitely check out the movie extras and other scripted/non-scripted clips about the movie–they’re absolute gold. P.S. Thor, if you need a place to stay, my house is your house. 

5) The Princess Diaries – Julie Andrews–SHUT UP! I feel like that’s all I need to say. This movie tells a story that you may have once dreamed about–finding out that you are a Princess! I know I’ve dreamed about being a Princess…the tiaras, the balls, the handsome princes, *sigh*. More importantly, this movie perfectly exemplifies the idea that oftentimes, we don’t know our own strength. 

6) The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement – Julie Andrews sings and Chris Pine is in it. Need I say more? Julie had had an operation decades ago that damaged her singing voice, however, she agreed to do a little singing for the movie! It was more along the lines of speak-singing but Julie Andrews kills it nonetheless. This movie also features a young Chris Pine, when his eyebrows still seemed like baby squirrels’ bushy tails, but that only added to his gorgeousness. This movie reminds us that some rules can be outdated. When this happens, we must do everything we can to change the rules! Plus, Chris Pine…

7) Hamilton – If you have been living under a rock and have no idea what Hamilton is or about, it is a Broadway musical that centers on Alexander Hamilton (while also giving us a bit of insight into the life of Aaron Burr, the man who killed Hamilton in a duel) who was one of the US’ founding fathers and is on the $10 bill! All Broadway musicals are recorded for posterity, however, Disney recorded Hamilton specifically to be released in theaters. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic it was unable to be released to the big screens and was instead put on Disney+. It features the original cast, as both Lin Manuel Miranda and Jonathan Groff reprised their roles as Hamilton and King George III, respectively. Miranda’s vocals weren’t as strong as I expected. Christopher Johnson (George Washington) is one of my favorite actors in the musical. He handled the gravitas of Washington perfectly. Groff’s songs comprise some of the more hysterical parts of the show that’ll ensure that you’ll be back to watch it more than once! Once you’ve watched the musical you’ll undoubtedly understand what I mean. Hopefully, the success of Hamilton will push Disney to release recordings of their other Broadway shows (minus Mary Poppins, because toys coming to life and basically attacking children is way too scary for Disney.) Disney does have another one of their recorded Broadway shows on Disney+, ‘Newsies,’ which is an adaption of a movie that stars Batman AKA Christian Bale. But I digress, Disney has a plethora of other classics, such as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King that would make great additions to Disney+!

Happy streaming!

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.