Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Seven Famous Locations of Movie Scenes that You Can Visit Yourself in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

New York City has been the backdrop for scenes of countless films and television shows. Yet, we walk past these iconic destinations every visit and don’t realize the scenes that were recorded in those places. The next time you find yourself in NYC, keep an eye out for these legendary locations. Or better yet– load up your MetroCard and make a fun and inexpensive date out of it!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

In one of the most memorable scenes in cinematic history, Audrey Hepburn’s Holly Golightly at the opening of the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s nibbles on a pastry while gazing at diamonds in the window of the Tiffany & Co. flagship store. A recreation of the scene here would definitely yield some instagrammable moments.
Location: 727 5th Ave

The 7-Year Itch (1955)

It only took one scene of Marilyn Monroe’s white halter dress billowing above a subway grate to outshine the rest of this film. Take the E train to the Lexington Ave & 53rd St station. Nestled between 52nd and 53rd you will stumble upon some innocuous looking grates but now you will know the cinematic history behind them. 

Location: Lexington Ave between 52nd and 53rd St

Ghostbusters (1984)

While Ghostbusters utilized several well known New York destinations including Central Park and the New York Public Library, the famous converted firehouse is probably the most recognizable building in the film. You can see it for yourself in Tribeca and maybe catch a glimpse of the fire pole

Location: FDNY Ladder 8, 14 N. Moore St.

Elf (2003)

You can do more than just quote one of the greatest Christmas films of all time– you can visit the very same place where Buddy showed some bullies not to mess with him when it comes to snowball fights. Northeast of Columbus Circle you’ll come across Pineback Arch where the scene was shot. The next time you find yourself in NYC around the holidays be sure to add this as one of your stops!

Location: Pinebank Arch, Central Park

The Avengers (2012)

Being the most recent film on this list, this NYC location will probably look as closely as it did in the film. At the very end of the film, we see the Avengers walking on Bethesda Terrace near Bethesda Fountain, known for appearances in other works such as Enchanted, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, and Law and Order. This location is stunning in its own right and should definitely be a must visit on your list. 

Location: Bethesda Terrace, 72 Terrace Dr

Men in Black (1997)

While this location may not be in Manhattan, it is somewhere one should see regardless. The Unisphere in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park is a sight to behold, as it was originally constructed for the 1964 World’s Fair. The Unisphere is featured during the climax of the film when Kay and Jay have mere minutes to prevent Earth from blowing up. 

Location: Unisphere, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Katz’s Delicatessen in East Village was put on the map by When Harry Met Sally’s unforgettable “I’ll have what she’s having” scene. Patrons can sit in the same booth that was featured in the film and enjoy some matzo ball soup or a pastrami sandwich.

Location: Katz’s Delicatessen, 205 E Houston St.

Juliette Kimmins

Stony Brook '22

Hello! I am Juliette and I am a Campus Correspondent for Stony Brook Her Campus. I am going into my 4th year at SBU as a political science and journalism major with a women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor. My interests include film, art, politics, and knitting!
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.