The SBU Gala is Hosting Joe Biden & I’m Freaking Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Layer on your sparkliest glitter and find your most flattering dress, collegiettes, because I’ve got some exciting news for you! If you’ve ever wanted a chance to be in the same room as a Vice President, which is awesome whether or not you’re hardcore into politics, Stony Brook University can make that dream come true. Joe Biden, the legendary VP and best bud to Barack Obama, is coming to a huge SBU-hosted event!

On Thursday, March 9th, SBU proudly announced both on Twitter and Facebook that Biden will be this year’s honoree at the Stars of Stony Brook Gala. The event will take place on April 19th in NYC, a ritzy-glitzy evening that uses the ticket sales to help fundraise for student scholarships and the school’s academic program.

I can’t ever forget the super cute tweet Biden made in August of 2016, wishing Obama a happy birthday with an adorable photo of a friendship bracelet featuring both of their names. Their bromance is definitely one for the books!

Biden has also been a strong advocate for women’s rights, addressing women’s issues during his time as VP. He helped to pass and renew the 1994 Violence Against Women Act and was essential in addressing the issue of sexual assault on college campuses, and called for university administrators to “step up.”

It would be awesome to even see Biden in person and even more awesome to talk with him, but the tickets are a little more than pricey: the most inexpensive ticket, which covers only one person, will cost you $750. Seeing him at the gala is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, though, so the ticket is worth the opportunity!

What would you say to the former VP if you had the chance? I’d probably ask him to make me a friendship bracelet, TBH.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images 

Shannon Blackler comes from Long Island, New York, and is involved in the Her Campus chapter at Stony Brook University. She has an interest in social activism, makeup and beauty, video games, and, naturally, cats.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor