QPR Training for Suicide Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

For those Seawolves who don’t know, our university offers dozens of workshops and training sessions that strive to make Stony Brook a safer and more educated community. From bystander intervention training like Green Dot and Red Watch Band to the Safe Space Foundations workshop, there are countless opportunities for Seawolves to learn and grow, both at an individual and a community level. Last month, I had the privilege of attending a QPR Gatekeeper Training which teaches attendees how to recognize and respond to a suicidal crisis. Since suicide is the second-leading cause of death of people aged 25 to 34 and third-leading for those 15 to 24, it seems vital that we all educate ourselves so that we can extend a helping hand to those who need it most.

Some Common Misconceptions About Suicide

Talking about suicide will put the idea into someone’s head. In reality, creating a space for an open discussion is one of the most helpful things you can do.

People who are suicidal keep their intentions to themselves. The truth is that between 80% and 90% of suicidal people communicate their intent sometime during the preceding week before their attempt.

Once a person decides to complete suicide, there is nothing that can deter them. Actually, feelings waiver and any positive action can have the potential to change someone’s mind.

Strongest Predictors of Suicide

Previous Suicide Attempts

Depression

Substance Abuse

Recent attempt by a friend or family member

Diagnosis of a psychiatric disorder

Clues and Warning Signs to be Aware of

Direct Verbal Cues: Listen for directly stating their intention to harm themselves with phrases like “I wish I were dead” or “I’m going to end it all.” 

Indirect Verbal Cues: Look out for verbal cues that hint at the person’s intention to harm themselves. Examples include phrases such as, “I just want out” and “Pretty soon you won’t have to worry about me”.

Behavioral Cues: Signs of a person’s intention to harm themselves can manifest in behavior. These include a sudden change in mood, acquiting means (firearms, pills etc.), feelings of depression or hopelessness, a drastic change in appearance, giving away personal possessions, self-harm behaviors like cutting, and substance abuse.

Situational Cues: If someone you know has gone through a breakup, lost a job, been diagnosed with a serious or terminal illness, or experienced a loss, you may want to keep a close eye on them and extend support in light of these stressful events.

What You Can Do To Help

Ask the Question: You can choose to ask it directly (“Have you ever thought about killing yourself?”) or indirectly (“Have you been unhappy lately?”). It doesn’t matter how; it matters that you ask. Do so in a private setting and give yourself plenty of time. If you feel uncomfortable asking, find someone who is.

Listen to What the Person Has to Say: Give the person your full attention. Take what the person says seriously and don’t make any judgments.

Offer Hope: Let the person know you’ve heard them and ask them if they will come with you to get help or it they will let you get help for them. Make sure to follow up with the person after you have helped them to let them know that you care.

Where to Get Help On Campus

Call the University Police at (631) 632-3333. Do this in the case of an emergency.

Visit Stony Brook’s Counseling and Psychological Services. CAPS offers free and confidential services to all Stony Brook students. You can walk into their office Monday- Friday 9am to 5pm or call at (631) 632-6720. For after hours calls (631) 632-6720 and press 2.

Get others involved. RA’s, staff, faculty, family, friends, roommates and advisors are other sources that can help in providing hope and support.

Where to Get Help Off Campus

Crisis Text Hotline: Call 631-751-7500

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: Call 1-800-273-8255

Response of Suffolk County Hotline: Text HELLO to 741-741

If you would like to would like to find out more about Stony Brooks QPR training, you can find the program’s homepage here. If you would like to find out more about CAPS, you can visit their website here.

Photo courtesy of QPR Institue

Proud Long Island Native. Psychology major and Writing minor. Passionate about writing, helping others, promoting positivity and telling stories that make a difference.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor